If you are someone who is really motivated by shaping the future of our industry, who is driven by creating a WOW factor for our clients and has the curiosity, care and courage to embrace fresh thinking, then this could be the role for you.
As we make progress with our Energy mission to make a difference by improving lives through safer, cleaner, smarter energy we are seeking a Market Lead to bring their strong reputation and conn in the electrical networks community to grow and develop our business. The sector is focussed on projects associated with the electricity networks, including transmission, distribution, grid connections, interconnectors etc. Project work typically involves teams of electrical and civil engineers delivering design, analysis and consultancy work to multiple clients.
Within this role, you will be responsible for contributing to our growth strategy by building on existing client relationships
and bringing and developing new relationships. You will grow and develop the account through winning and delivering contracts
in existing and new areas, such as power system studies, electricity regulation, CATOs, innovation and substation FEED,
including the following:
- Client engagement with potential new clients and contacts to communicate Atkins’ expertise
- Writing and leading competitive tenders
- Growing and developing partnerships with other companies, organisations and key industry people in order to develop
- Atkins’ capability
- Maintaining an understanding of the sector, including likely projects such as interconnectors, offshore wind farms, EFR
- auctions, DSO developments, CATO developments etc.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Management of key Grid Management clients and contacts, such as National Grid, including role as Framework Director
- for the National Grid FEED Framework
- Raising the profile of Atkins’ Grid and Electrical Networks sector through thought leadership, organising and speaking at events
- such as conferences and seminars
- Working with other Sector Leads (particularly Offshore, Conventional Generation and Storage) to input into wider bids
- and projects, for example where a generation or storage project requires a grid connection, and ensuring that the team
- capability is fit for purpose in order to deliver these projects
- Working with Atkins’ Operations Leads to recruit and grow the teams and maintain productivity
- Ensuring that projects are delivered profitably and resolving project issues
- Working with the Financial Controller to provide forecasts of revenue and profit, ensure billing is carried out on time,
- understand and minimise account provisions etc.
- Provide a review function for projects in own area of expertise, e.g. power systems analysis or regulation
You will be able to balance high energy motivation and drive with the tenacity to get the detail right, to really care about the difference you make to our clients, partners, policy influencers and to our business. Building and developing relationships is a key part of this role, as well as bringing a strong portfolio of relationships with you with critical organisations such as DNOs, you will be able to initiate, develop and build new client relationships, have strong negotiating and influencing skills, and also have a high level of communication skills (both written and verbal).
In addition to having experience of developing and managing strategic relationships with clients, you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- A strong strategic and technical understanding of the UK grid and electrical networks market
- An excellent thought leader reputation in the electrical networks community and developing a strong Atkins presence at conferences and events
- Ability to lead and motivate a large team of sector experts
- The ability to adapt and thrive within a changing business environment
At Atkins, we invest in people. Without the technical excellence of some 18,000 staff we would not be one of the world’s leading engineering and design consultancies. Our philosophy is to help our people navigate a career path which enables them to achieve their ambitions. We offer flexible, rewarding work packages tailored towards career progression, which are founded on the principles of growth, ambition and excellence.
Our Energy business is delivering engineering, design and consultancy solutions to the oil and gas, nuclear, renewables, electrical generation, transmission and distribution sectors all over the world. Merging original thinking with our experience from 60 years in the energy industry, we help transform the potential of existing infrastructure as well as new resources and technology. We listen and lead across boundaries, bringing lessons learned from one industry or discipline to another to help realize our client’s vision. We deliver what we say we will, building relationships based on trust and integrity: there when we’re needed, fast; committed for the long term; adapting to changes and leaning into challenges.
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the energy sector and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a different to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
Benefits and Additional Information
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave. Flexible working options will be considered for this vacancy.
The role will require travel to other Atkins office locations and client site office in the UK and Europe which may involve overnight stays away from home at regular intervals therefore candidates will need to be flexible to travel as required.