We are seeking an Engineer who thrives on making a strong personal contribution and who is motivated to help make the organisation a little better every day. You want to deliver – for the client, for the business and for yourself.
We need a personable mechanical engineer who wants to solve and deliver mechanical engineering designs to customers and who aspires to be one of our future Chief Engineers, Programme Directors, Key Account Directors or Business Heads. You’ll enjoy working with others, sometimes directly at client sites, sometimes from our offices, and always seeking to be forward thinking and going the extra mile to help us maintain our excellent performance.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we’d love you to apply for this role.
Working for our Energy business you will be part of a team of mechanical engineering professionals with experience starting at Apprenticeship all the way up to Chief Engineer level. You must be happy to undertake technical work individually, or as part of a project team and to take responsibility for managing your own delivery to agreed timescales. The role will entail design engineering, engineering substantiation calculations, document review, reporting and report writing, whilst working with and presenting your work to clients. So you’ll need to enjoy technical work and spending time at site with clients.
You’ll enjoy taking on a range of challenges, some technical, some wider business oriented; all of which help us to run a strong business. You’ll want to work with customers and with teams who deliver to their customers and you’ll be adaptable and happy to cope with uncertainty. As soon as you’re presented with a problem, you are focused on how to resolve it, whatever it might be.
You don’t just tackle these things alone. You enjoy discussing and agreeing how to solve complex issues with your colleagues. And overall, you get satisfaction from building relationships, with clients and with colleagues. You enjoy getting to know people, and working out how you can have a positive impact on them – whether delivering something for a client, or helping to win more work.
In addition to having excellent communication and problem solving skills you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Mechanical Engineering expertise, Degree qualified or equivalent
- Some mechanical design experience gained in an industrial environment, where you will have seen the output from your efforts; you’ll have an appreciation of how engineering components and systems are designed and specified
- Teamwork and Leadership qualities
- An appreciation of what’s required for design, when working in safety critical industries, like Nuclear
- An appreciation of project and client management
- An understanding of the fundamental factors which contribute to business success
As part of our Energy business, our team specialises in delivering stimulating, mechanically focussed engineering projects to clients across industry. With existing relationships in Nuclear, both Civil and Defence sectors, as well as the wider energy market, we bring technical know-how from across the design lifecycle to help solve our client’s problems. We see integrated design services as a growth area and based in South Yorkshire as part of a 55 strong steam, we form part of a wider Energy business which gives us unrivalled access to significant players in all parts of the industry offering breadth of diversity and opportunity.
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2015’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in virtually every region of the world, in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
- This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Energy sector in the UK. As part of a single Energy business, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our Energy clients and also for international travel as part of the global Energy business.
- Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
- Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house and well as external training for all of our staff.
- Although the team is based in Rotherham, the wider Energy business has locations around the country and opportunities also exist at various client sites. Flexibility on work location and a willingness to undertake secondments to other sites from time to time as required is an important aspect of how we work and we want you to be comfortable with this culture.
Reward & Benefits
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave. Flexible working options will be considered for this vacancy.