Are you a mechanical engineer with a background in stress analysis who is looking to work on a portfolio of projects across the Energy sector? Then this may be the role for you.
As part of our Energy business within Derby you will be involved in challenging projects requiring the analysis of complex components and structures under static and dynamic loads, delivering projects locally and remotely.
We achieve success by working in close partnership with our clients, by matching our skills to their needs, being flexible, and by using our resources efficiently. Whether we’re delivering high quality engineering and technical services or programme management, we always deliver the solution that’s right for them.
Our team’s work supports a number of key nuclear workstreams including the UK Submarine programme (both in-service and next generation vessels, as well as dockyard equipment and facilities) and high integrity structures for new nuclear establishments. We also deliver work elsewhere in the Energy industry, making use of our strong design and analytical skills and plant knowledge on projects for other clients. Joining our team gives you the opportunity to challenge yourself by getting actively involved in a variety of projects with different clients and industries.
As an engineer within our team, your work will be diverse and challenge and you could be involved in; producing calculations, building and running FE models, authoring and updating technical documents, supporting bidding activity and supporting our QA process.
Through all this you will manage your delivery against Time, Cost and Quality requirements whilst maintaining quality of work and quality of Atkins’ excellent reputation. You may also be required to present your findings to our clients.The Person
You will be enthusiastic and flexible, with a track record of working successfully, both independently and as part of a team. You’ll be proactive, and have excellent communication skills. You will have a desire to be challenged and contribute to the success of the business.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Honours Degree (or equivalent) in mechanical engineering or related discipline (2:1 minimum).
- Chartered Engineer or in advanced stages of working towards chartership with the IMechE (or another engineering institution).
- Experience in one or more of the following disciplines:
- Stress analysis by hand calculation
- Finite Element analysis (preferably Abaqus or Ansys)
- Fatigue and fracture assessment
- ASME III
- Thermal analysis
- A sound understanding of mechanical engineering principles and their application to varied projects and domains
- Understanding of project management and some commercial appreciation
- Knowledge of nuclear systems (including safety cases) is desirable but not essential
- Understanding and experience of steam-raising power plant and components (pressure vessels, heat exchangers, pumps, valves, pipework etc) is beneficial
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2015’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in virtually every region of the world, in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
- This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Energy sector in the UK. As part of a single Energy business, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our Energy clients and also for international travel as part of the global Energy business.
- Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
- Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house and well as external training for all of our staff.
- Although the team is based in Derby, the wider Energy business has locations around the country and opportunities also exist at various client sites. Flexibility on work location and a willingness to undertake secondments to other sites from time to time as required is an important aspect of how we work and we want you to be comfortable with this culture.
Reward & Benefits
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave. Flexible working options will be considered for this vacancy.