Due to continued growth we are now looking for a National Portfolio Commercial Manager. This is an executive role joining the commercial team in the Transportation Division, overseeing the successful delivery of major Strategic Highways projects across the UK. The individual must be self-motivated, reliable and able to work independently, or effectively as part of a team.
The role will have a primary reporting line to the Projects Commercial Director. The primary function will be to ensure timely, robust and effective commercial support is provided to Major Strategic Highways projects. You will also be responsible for governance, meeting or exceeding key business performance objectives, and ensuring that commercial risks are properly identified and managed at all times. You should be a good leader, with excellent people skills, capable of quickly building productive relationships at all levels both internally and with clients.
The Senior National Portfolio Commercial Manager shall demonstrate the following attributes:
• A strong and proven track record as a Senior Project Commercial Manager in pre-contract negotiations and post contract project delivery, having worked for a major construction, civil engineering contractor.
• Significant experience of Design and Build Contracts, Sub-Contract procurement and management.
• Degree qualified Quantity Surveyor
• Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
• Experience in managing teams of commercial managers and quantity surveyors
• Knowledge of contract law, litigation, change management and dispute resolution
• The ability to work in a team environment and be able to broker strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
• Strong understanding of contractual and commercial principles and processes
• Experience in the application of effective risk management processes
• Experienced in dispute management and avoidance, with the ability to lead contractual disputes when required and liaising with Group Legal as necessary.
• Excellent communication, negotiation and influencing skills
The Senior Projects Commercial Manager will be responsible for the following:
• Accountable for safeguarding the commercial, financial, contractual and legal interests of the business on a portfolio of major projects
• To protect the company’s commercial interests at all times and in particular to minimise commercial exposure and maximise revenue opportunities
• Lead pre-contract negotiations as required, liaising with Group Legal as necessary
• Post contract commercial management of projects
• Provide commercial reports as required
• Managing a team of commercial managers and quantity surveyors across projects
• To actively promote and manage professional and career development in your Project Delivery commercial team
• To assist in the timely recruit of experienced commercial managers and quantity surveyors to ensure all projects are resourced adequately and correctly
• To establish and maintain a project commercial stakeholder management plan and to manage commercial relationships with internal stakeholders (at the appropriate level) and client stakeholders
• Agree and deliver effective commercial management strategies for every project forming part of the portfolio you are responsible for. Reporting progress against the strategies to the Projects Commercial Director
• To advise Project Directors on all commercial matters
• Ensuring compliance with all company processes, guidelines and rules in respect of project commercial governance and in particular, the Service Delivery Process
• Ensuring robust cost forecasting and change control across your projects
• To maintain effective commercial risk management and reporting across the portfolio
• Attendance at, and reporting for monthly Project Board reviews
• Ensure accurate contemporaneous records are being maintained on projects
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.