Join our cross-sector transportation team and you’ll help us deliver innovative solutions to the biggest transportation challenges in the UK and beyond. You’ll turn ideas into reality with the award-winning engineering consultancy behind smart motorways and intelligent transport. And you’ll improve the everyday lives of millions of people. So, help us move the world forward, one step at a time. This is your time to make a difference.
Atkins is seeking a candidate to join our national Operational Safety Team, in Transportation. Building on the recognised discipline of road safety the team are specialists responsible for manage the safety of all users of the road network including those involved in maintenance and operation. The candidate will lead on road safety governance of major projects (e.g. Smart Motorways). This involves influencing highway design teams by giving advice on the potential safety impacts of various design solutions. Working collaboratively, you’ll do everything you can to excel and deliver solutions that exceed expectations. The role will offer a variety of different challenges and opportunities. The candidate will also have the opportunity to lead on a variety of high profile consultancy commissions for our clients where Operational Safety is a key consideration.
· Production of PCF products for Highways England major schemes
· Production of Safety Risk Assessments to meet GD04 standards
· Chairing Project Safety Control Review Groups
· Internal and external liaison with stakeholders with interest in safety outcomes
· Project Management of consultancy tasks where Operational Safety is a consideration.
· Degree (or equivalent) in engineering or an appropriate science subject
· Membership of a relevant professional institution
· Background in quantitative and qualitative safety risk assessment
· Experience in the application of GD04/12 – Safety Governance for Highways England.
· Experience in the application of IAN 191/16 – Safety Governance for Highways England or its predecessor IAN 139.
· Ability to lead safety committees to build consensus on operational safety matters
· Working knowledge of maintenance and other operational aspects of highways, including CDM Regulations
· Strong communication and stakeholder management skills
· Proficient IT skills
· Understanding of Highways England processes, procedures and requirements
· Experience of UK highway design using DMRB
· Experience at developing safety recommendations at regional or national level by carrying out suitable research/consultancy for engineering, education or compliance
· Certificate of Competency in Road Safety Audit.
· 10 days ROSPA Road Safety Engineering Course
· Experience of management of collision databases.
· Project Management experience.
Occasional travel and overnight stays across UK required.