Atkins is looking for an experienced Chartered Civil Engineer to be Team Lead in our growing Pavement Consultancy team within the Transport Asset Management (TAM) Practice. The primary focus of the role will be to lead the technical delivery of a range of pavement engineering and research related projects for a number of clients throughout the UK and overseas.
The role will require the successful applicant to be responsible for the overall technical and managerial delivery of pavement projects within our pavement engineering consultancy. The candidate will therefore have proven skills in leading managing consultants, principal, senior and graduate engineers. In addition the role will require providing a key technical advisory function, whilst delivering and managing pavement projects. The candidate will also have the ability to work as part of a larger consultancy team, whilst drawing on a strong foundation of technical and managerial experience in order to make independent decisions.
The position requires credibility, competence and technical excellence as it will be a role working closely with industry leading clients, stakeholders and will necessitate the development, approval and implementation of robust design solutions through collaborative working, trust and proactive management of client demands.
The post location is based in Birmingham and the successful candidate will work within a team of similar professionals across the UK. The postholder will be expected to undertake occasional short term visits or postings to other offices within the UK and international locations as required by projects.
The Transport Asset Management team forms part of the Consultancy Practice within Atkins Transportation Division and provides consultancy services in highways, airports and port maintenance and management for various authorities, service providers and constructors in the UK and overseas.
• Degree in civil engineering;
• Chartered Membership of the Institution of Civil Engineers or other closely aligned professional institution.
We require demonstrable experience of and competence in the majority of the following areas:
• Planning and control of technical resources to deliver projects on time and to budget;
• Able to develop and motivate others;
• A winning attitude – passion for pavements;
• The use of UK and international standards for the design of pavements for highway, airfield, port and other applications;
• Knowledge and experience of airfield pavement design, materials specification and maintenance including principles and application of UK and international pavement design methods;
• Proven track record in co-ordinating and delivering design solutions in the airports, highways and ports sector;
• Application of CAA, ICAO, DFT and UK Airport operator standards and design requirements;
• Knowledge of pavement engineering demonstrated by experience of pavement design, investigation and research;
• Effective communicator (written, verbal & presentations);
• Sound knowledge and understanding of mechanistic pavement design methods as well as structural pavement models;
• Sound understanding of the principles and limitations of structural pavement analysis for both rigid (concrete) and flexible pavements;
• The use of analytical pavement design techniques including software packages such as BISAR, MODULUS-HA, ELMOD, RUBICON, PAVERS, cncPAVE;
• The specification, execution, analysis and interpretation of a comprehensive range of pavement investigation and evaluation techniques;
• Construction techniques and practices for new construction and maintenance works, including recycling;
• Sound knowledge and understanding of pavement design principles (Flexible, Rigid and Composite Pavements);
• Sound knowledge and understanding of pavement materials(Concrete, Asphalt and Hydraulically Bound Materials);
• Preparation of contract documents;
• Preparation of scheme design options to suit varying budgetary scenarios for both new construction and maintenance works;
• Programme and scheme development processes including both value management and value engineering;
• Knowledge and understanding of Pavement Life Cycle Cost analysis and pavement management systems.
Highly desirable to have experience of working in a range of project environments – urban, rural, developed, developing and in environmentally hostile situations in the airport, highways and port environment.
Strong demonstrable leadership and project management experience within the consultancy and construction environment using tools to support project management.
• Pavement design leader for road, airport and port pavement designs;
• Overall Pavement technical responsibility;
• Mentoring and development of management consultants, principal, senior, graduate engineers and technicians;
• Obtaining stakeholder input and agreement to technical solutions;
• Co-ordination and management of other discipline inputs into projects;
• Developing proposals for new commissions;
• Project management and/or technical delivery of a variety of projects in the field of pavement engineering;
• Supporting, developing and enhancing client relationships with a number of public and private sector clients;
• Supporting business development activities, to support the Group’s strategy;
• Contribute to the delivery of consultancy projects;
• Promote pavement and asset management within Atkins;
• Comply with Quality, Safety and Environmental procedures to Atkins Business Management Systems;
• Deliver, and ensure the delivery of others’ outputs to quality, programme and budget.
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate evidence of:
• Strong people and interpersonal skills;
• Strong Leadership & management skills;
• Strong communication and presentation skills with regards to report writing, presentations and face to face situations (all in respect of clients and team members);
• Strong drive for excellence;
• Passion for pavements;
• The use of UK and international standards for the design of pavements for airfield, highway, ports and other applications
• Experience of working with a variety of UK and international clients at a senior level on project delivery and business development;
• Ability to work in a client facing environment;
• Ability and keen to work in a collaborative team environment;
• Flexible and adaptable to the demands of the role;
• A high expectation of performance from themselves and those they lead;
• A robust approach to managing their own continuous professional development;
• A high level of personal initiative, vision and motivation;
• Full driving licence;
• Proficient in the Microsoft Office suite of programmes;
• International experience, willingness and able to work in a variety of locations including outside the UK.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.