Atkins is one of the world’s leading rail engineers. We have established a high profile presence within the UK, Danish and Middle East markets.
We are seeking two Planning Managers with extensive experience in the detailed planning of large complex infrastructure projects. One role is based in Birmingham and one in Manchester, requires a strong technical background, ideally in the rail industry, however, candidates from other industries will be considered.
The successful applicant will be the Planning Manager providing comprehensive Project Controls support to the project teams and to the client. The Planning Manager, will report into the Project Controls Manager, with accountability to the Project Manager.
• The Planning Manager must have an excellent understanding of how projects are designed, procured, constructed and commissioned.
• Experienced in producing compliant programmes that are logically robust, cost and resource loaded and covers the full scope of work across all stages of the project.
• The successful candidate must be an experienced hands on Planning Manager, who has managed large teams within a busy environment.
• The Planning Manager will be responsible for ensuring that all Planning processes and procedures are fully implemented on the extensive high value portfolio.
• The Planning Manager will be responsible for understanding the workload, prioritising and allocating work.
• The Planning Manager will check achievements and provide constructive feedback, leadership and management.
• The successful candidate will have a thorough understanding various forms of contract
• An expert user of Primavera P6.
• Experience of Schedule Risk analysis
• Experienced in Tender Planning
• Detailed knowledge of Project Controls techniques including Earned Value Management, data analysis and trend analysis.
• Experience of working on large projects up to £100m
• Experienced Engineering Professional with a qualification in Mechanical/Civil Engineering preferred
• Member of the APM preferred
• Lead and develop a Planning team.
• Responsible for the quality of project programmes on Atkins Rail portfolio in the South East
• Represent Project Controls, attend and lead client progress meetings.
• Responsible for the completion of projects to time and cost
• Provide regular supervision to junior members of the team as required
• Familiar with commercial and financial aspects of project management
• Building relationships with limited set of common clients and maintain regular client contact.
• Have a good understanding of technologies and markets
• Provision of project performance data, project schedules and reports in a concise and timely manner as required by the projects teams.
• Preparation and input to project dashboards
• Identify project and portfolio risks, deviations and slippages; reports and communicates issues to senior members of the Project Controls and Project Management team.
• Analyse current and future workloads to ensure Planning responsibilities and commitments can be achieved
• Ensuring that all issues within the programme are highlighted and understood by Senior Management and giving appropriate planning advice.
• You will deliver the Period Programme Update and information regarding changes and delays that have impacted the programme on a period by period basis.
• Delivering the necessary reports to allow Senior Managers to direct the project appropriately.
• Preparing and delivering presentations.
This is an opportunity to join a dynamic, world class Project Controls team; working on some of the UK’s largest transportation infrastructure projects. You will be part of an experienced team that have a significant impact on the successful delivery of these multi million pound contracts, using state of the art project controls tools and techniques that provide concise information to the projects they support. Atkins Project Controls are recognised as an internationally renowned consultant, working on large rail infrastructure projects within the UK and overseas.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.