Atkins is one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Highways England, Local Authorities, TfL, HS2, Network Rail and London Underground, design and build contractors and other niche clients.
To recognise the exciting project opportunities within Transportation and our goal to grow we have a Practice Manager opportunity in the Civils South East Practice primarily based in Epsom.
The intention of this role is to co-manage the highways civils group of c. 80 staff located at our Epsom office and work closely alongside other Practice Managers to enable the business to develop & grow.
The objectives of the role are to:
- Enthuse and motivate our people through effective performance and development plans that align to their career opportunities
- Contribute to the successful delivery of Civils South East budget requirements, including productivity, management of overheads and headcount through effective management of resources
- Facilitate an increased flow of work to the Global Design Centre (GDC) based in India.
- Liaise with the Practice Director to ensure we have sufficient resources with the right skills to deliver our current and future market strategies
- Support the technical development of staff within their practice team
- Work with the market and business development teams to engage with clients and actively sell our technical capabilities
- Chartered/Incorporated status with a recognised UK professional institution, e.g. ICE or IStructE
- Demonstrable leadership experience of a sizeable team, ideally one delivering highways civil and / or structural engineering services
- Ability to provide strong safety leadership within dynamic working environments
- Demonstrable evidence of directing and managing multi-disciplinary tenders
- Proven track record in supporting the professional training and development toward Technician, Incorporated and Chartered membership grades for either the ICE and IStructE. Ideally you will have performed as a Delegated Engineer and / or Supervising Civil Engineer
- Experience in managing organisational change
- Experience of successfully managing team and individual performance
- Strong collaborative behaviours to interface with Practice Director, other Practice Managers, Market teams, and other stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Strong communication skills to interface with clients and internal stakeholders
- Performance driven
- Customer centred
- Lead the practice teams within the Civils South East Practice in a manner that it is recognised for technical excellence and ability to flexibly respond to business needs
- Provide line supervision, oversee career & talent development for the team
- Drive technical best practice, knowledge sharing, and process standardisation /optimisation across practice group
- Liaise through the Practice with the Market/client teams to establish resource demand based on pipeline of opportunities and allocate resources accordingly
- Manage practice team performance with focus on meeting or exceeding productivity and break even targets and controlling overheads to budget
- Work with the Practice Director to ensure skills and capacity meet the needs of the target markets through recruitment and focused staff development. Act as Hiring Manager for the team.
- Maximise the workload of the Practice delivered from the GDC (to achieve target)
- Act as a Project Director / Project Manager as appropriate and undertake technical delivery
- Win work through maximising additional/repeat/follow-on work from clients
- Act as Bid Director / Bid Manager as appropriate for Practice led bids
- Help drive innovation in service offerings
- Identify work opportunities and foster client relationships
- Ensure compliance with the Business Management processes & procedures and manage business risk
- Provide technical input to support strategic bids
- Able to lead the highway civils practice team so that it has a reputation for technical excellence and quality of delivery
- A hard working and flexible individual, who is reliable, proactive and innovative, whilst able to keep calm under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines
- A high expectation of performance for themselves and other members of the team, coupled with a drive for continuous improvement
- Customer focused, including maintaining and driving client feedback programme
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills both verbally and in writing
- Able to build and motivate a team and demonstrate good people management skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-disciplinary team
- A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team, combined with a passion for staff development
- Able to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with both clients and the practice teams
- Be available to travel across the UK if required and encourage mobility in the practice team
- Strong business acumen with a demonstrable knowledge of identifying potential value creation
- Excellent team player
- Degree level or equivalent professional qualification in relevant discipline
- Employee engagement, people development, employee performance indicators for practice team.
- Achieving budgeted productivity, overheads, headcount and Global Design Centre (India) targets for the team
Connecting countries, cities and communities, our teams work on some of the most challenging projects of our time. Helping people to travel faster and more efficiently, we transform infrastructure. So, get on board and play a big part in our success.
We’ll value you for exceeding expectations and delivering innovative solutions that nobody else can. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards and development opportunities.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.