We currently have an outstanding opportunity for an experienced Principal / Associate Environmental Consultant join our established Contaminated Land and Hydrogeology (CLAH) team within our Bristol office.
We are looking for a highly motivated, experienced and adaptable individual with excellent technical, project management and client management skills; an excellent knowledge of contaminated land, risk assessments and brownfield land regeneration. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of successful regulatory engagement and the ability to complete peer reviews and internal technical reviews, capable of delivering the high standard of geo-environmental consultancy services for which Atkins is renowned.
Atkins is one of the world’s leading engineering and design consultancies; we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects. The CLAH practice within Atkins is a well-established, multi-disciplinary, environmental and engineering practice with an extensive portfolio of regeneration and development projects. Our technical expertise and highly skilled team has been recently recognised at the Brownfield Briefing Awards (2016), winning awards for Best Project Closure/Verification Process, Best Public Participation, Best Urban Regeneration Project and Best Young Brownfield Professional, plus highly commended within the Best Brownfield Infrastructure Project category.
The Bristol CLAH team currently delivers work for a range of clients, including strategic developers in the south east / south Wales, largescale infrastructure projects (highways, water infrastructure, rail etc.) and gas network providers / former gasworks land. The team has a solid existing work stream upon which to grow and expand in the future. We are seeing excellent growth in our contaminated land business across the UK in general following successful framework and non-framework wins
- Project Management / Project Director (level dependent) and the technical delivery of a wide variety of sometimes complex and multi-disciplinary projects, ensuring delivery on time, within budget and to high standards.
- Technical work within own area of expertise and technically review the work of others to such a quality as can be delivered to a client.
- Line management, including allocation of work in order to ensure Business productivity and volume targets are met;
- Presenting own and colleagues work at meetings and presentations.
- Developing relationships with a growing set of internal and external clients, liaison with stakeholders, regulators, and sub-contractors and networking to promote Atkins.
- Preparation of commercial offers and supporting senior management in developing new business.
- Providing technical guidance, constructive support and mentoring to junior staff and supporting their technical development.
- Working with the local and wider Atkins team across the UK.
- Continue to develop own competence and maintain CPD with support from the business.
MEng, MSc, BEng (Hons), or BSc (Hons) in a relevant science or engineering subject (e.g. geology, geotechnics, hydrogeology, chemistry, environmental science).
- Chartered (or actively working towards chartership) with a relevant professional body. If not Chartered, we would expect the candidate, with our support, to become chartered 6 to 12 months after joining.
Demonstrate a proven track record in contaminated land with knowledge and experience in Phase 1 Desk Studies, Phase 2 Site Investigations, options appraisals, and remediation design, supervision and verification / validation for a range of different types of projects and clients.
Demonstrate a proven track record of project management / project direction, resulting in delivery to high standards, including managing project teams and competency in the contractual, commercial and financial aspects of consultancy projects.
Good working knowledge and demonstrable understanding of the relevant legislation, technical guidance and industry standards and best practice for contaminated land and waste.
Be able to mentor junior staff and technically review their work.
- Full UK driving licence.
Experience and knowledge of gasworks and coal carbonisation-related land contamination sites, electricity substation and high voltage-related land contamination sites and/or nuclear sites.
Experience and knowledge of demolition management, as part of multidisciplinary development / remediation projects.
Experience and knowledge of working with developer clients.
Experience and knowledge of NEC3 contracts.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package