Due to rapidly expanding UK & worldwide transportation opportunities, a position of Principal Engineer has been created within the company in our Transportation team. Sitting within the Transportation Structures Practice, this is an exciting opportunity for any candidate who is keen to undertake an interesting and varied role in steering the delivery of engineering on Atkins’ rail projects portfolio.
Atkins Transportation Division is one of the largest transport consultancies in the UK and is a primary supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators, Network Rail, train operating companies, design and build contractors and other clients within the transportation sector.
Our core workload is typically the delivery of multidisciplinary designs ranging from feasibility studies to detailed design, working either direct for rail industry clients like Network Rail and Train Operating companies or increasingly for design and build contractors. Our projects vary from some of the largest multi-disciplinary schemes in the UK to minor design commissions and include all elements of railway civil engineering including bridge, station and lineside infrastructure schemes.
Atkins is seeking a candidate able to demonstrate a high level of civil engineering technical capability who can direct the technical delivery of civil and multidisciplinary railway design projects. You will have a background in structural design and of working within the UK rail sector together with a track record of successful delivery and direction on railway engineering design projects.
If you can inspire teams and provide technical guidance to get jobs done to the highest standards, take your career to the next level. Using your excellent people and technical skills, you’ll drive a variety of civil and structural design projects, including new build, reconstruction, maintenance and assessment works. Keeping millions of people moving, you’ll take on unique challenges and deliver bridges, buildings and structures on time and to cost.
Your rail experience will enable you to support a 30-strong team that provides engineering consultancy, inspection, assessment and design services to Network Rail, London Underground and leading rail industry contractors. Managing projects from feasibility to design to construction, you’ll be a natural leader who will roll your sleeves up to ensure our team always delivers great things. Instinctively motivated to help, achieve and go beyond to meet client needs, you’ll:
- Provide high quality design management and construction support
- Produce, check and review outline and detailed designs
- Conduct feasibility studies and write reports
- Assess existing structures and scope and carry out surveys and inspections
- Support new business and help to prepare documentation for bids and design projects
- Lead by example, directing, developing and helping a diverse team of engineers and CAD operators to be the best they can be.
- Chartered status and corporate membership of ICE or the IStructE
- A comprehensive understanding and experience of reinforced concrete, structural steelwork and masonry, as well as computer based design and analytical programme
- Positive and practical with experience of managing resources, mentoring engineers and inspiring multidisciplinary teams to exceed client expectations
- Technical skills to carry out surveys and inspect and analytically assess structures
- An impressive track record of delivering a wide range of projects in the rail industry, including bridge assessments and designs
- Commercially astute and an excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra management responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
- Strong Project Management experience, including tender preparation and report writing
Connecting countries, cities and communities, our rail team works on some of the most challenging projects of our time. Helping people to travel faster and more efficiently, we transform rail infrastructure. Together we work on everything from station and depot developments to multi-functional railway enhancement works. So, get on board and play a big part in our success.
We’ll value you for going beyond to exceed expectations and deliver innovative solutions nobody else can. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards and development opportunities.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.