Atkins is one of the world’s leading engineering design consultancies. We have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects. As a provider of multi-discipline technical services, Atkins is committed to design excellence and delivery of first class solutions which combine innovation, imagination, and best practice.
Working in a multi-discipline team of engineers & architects, providing a professional design service to our clients, this is a great opportunity for professionals to gain technical exposure within an internationally renowned consultancy.
Current and forthcoming projects include concept through to detailed design of complex Railway Schemes primarily in the United Kingdom, Middle East, South Asia and Europe.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with experience of delivering large railway projects. Candidates shortlisted for this position would be expected to deliver major international projects both new build and also refurbishment projects.
Responsibilities shall include but not limited to the following:
- Technical group leader / specialist with high reputation in the industry
- Managing delivery of multidisciplinary projects
- Developing schematic designs and detailed designs for small to large scale rail infrastructure projects
- Carrying out checks on the work carried out by junior engineers and AutoCAD technicians
- Ensure effective communication and coordination on assigned tasks between all disciplines
- Ensure designs meet Clients requirements and compliance with relevant Codes of Practice
- Agreeing the scope and fee for work packages and managing delivery.
- Responsible for compliance with Atkins QA/QC procedures and implementation of procedures
- Create a culture of sharing knowledge and lessons learnt on projects within teams
- Developing more junior staff by technical training and mentoring.
- Managing own professional development and also of a team.
- BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Chartered status and corporate membership of the ICE, IHT or IStructE.
- Detailed knowledge of multi-discipline designs
- Competence with engineering software such as Staad Pro, LUSAS
- Experience of working International projects
- Understanding of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes and other international standards
- Appreciate health and safety requirement and how they impact on designs.
- Ability to lead and contribute to bids and tenders.
- Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverable, delivering within set time frame.
- Good project management skills, commercial awareness, financial control and ability to deliver across a range of contract types.
- Commercially astute and an excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra management responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
- Sound knowledge of Project Governance and Development Processes
- Ability to research information and data independently and ability to resolve contractual issues.
- Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Awareness of business models adopted in the sector and commercial and technical risks.
- Experience of client engagement and business development activities.
- Positive and practical with experience of managing resources, mentoring engineers and inspiring multidisciplinary teams to exceed client expectations.
- Knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation.