Our Transportation Division is currently seeking Principal Engineers in our Cardiff/Swansea office to support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary highway and railway project across the UK. Using your excellent people, technical and delivery skills, you’ll drive a variety of civil and structural designs for new build, renewal, maintenance and assessment works.
You’ll be working as part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Highway England, Network Rail, London Underground, HS2, train operating companies, design and build contractors and other niche clients. You’ll also have the opportunity to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
Ideally you’ll have a background in design and delivery of a range of bridges and other structures within either or both the highways and railways environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
You’ll be a natural leader who’s used to rolling up your sleeves up to ensure our teams always delivers great things. Instinctively driven to help, achieve and go beyond to meet client needs. We’d expect you to:-
- Lead the technical delivery of civil engineering projects / civil engineering input in to complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
- Act as technical lead for a range of projects. For railway schemes this will include discharging the role of Contractor’s Responsible Engineer (CRE) and potentially Contractors Engineering Manager (CEM).
- Use your excellent analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
- Oversee completion of designs and the production of and review design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
- Stay abreast of industry developments and changes in standards.
- Develop more junior staff by technical training and mentoring. You’ll most likely be acting as a Delegated Engineer or Supervising Civil Engineer for those under formal training agreements.
- Be available to travel across the UK and work away from home on occasion; this might include periods overseas of 3 to 6 months.
- BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Chartered status and corporate membership of the ICE or IStructE.
- Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverable, delivering within set time frame.
- Good project management skills, commercial awareness, financial control and ability to deliver across a range of contract types. This will include an ability to manage stakeholders, e.g. specialist suppliers, independent checkers and local authorities.
- Commercially astute and an excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra management responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
- Sound knowledge of Project Governance and Development Processes for Network Rail and / or Highways England.
- Thorough understanding of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes and those of Network Rail and Highways England.
- Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
Connecting countries, cities and communities, our rail team works on some of the most challenging projects of our time. Helping people to travel faster and more efficiently, we transform rail infrastructure. So, get on board and play a big part in our success.
We’ll value you for going beyond to exceed expectations and deliver innovative solutions nobody else can. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards and development opportunities.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.