Atkins’ Transportation is our centre of excellence for the design of highway and rail infrastructure projects. We aim to be the first choice designer for local and national highway authorities, Network Rail, contractors and developers. We are working on a number of high profile projects and frameworks nationwide, including Cambridge to Huntingdon A14 upgrade and Smart Motorways programme through the Collaborative Delivery Framework for Highways England, Crossrail, Great Western Electrification Programme, HS2 and related projects.
We now have an opportunity for a Principal Civil Engineer to join our busy team in Croydon.
- Act as Contractor’s Responsible Engineer during the delivery of the civil engineering aspects of Network Rail projects
- Proven experience in rail.
- Intimate Rail knowledge and knowledge of Network Rail’s GRIP process and the various deliverables required at each stage is desirable.
- Be able to carry out designs, design calculations, reports and specifications to industry and national standards
- Chartered Membership of a relevant professional body, such as the Institution of Civil Engineers or Institution of Structural Engineers.
- Lead the technical delivery of civil engineering projects / civil engineering input in to complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
- Liaison with clients and capability to discuss technical solutions in the delivery of civil engineering to stakeholders – both at tender stage and during project delivery.
- Use analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise different options and recommend the most suitable option.
- Oversee the production of and review high quality design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
- Carry out designs, design calculations, reports and specifications to industry and national standards
- Stay abreast of industry developments and changes in standards. Ensure that all design submissions produced by those under your supervision are compliant with all relevant standards.
- Mentor and develop junior staff in their technical capability and knowledge.
- Experience of acting as CRE/CEM on multidisciplinary projects undertaken for Network Rail
- Chartered membership of a relevant professional body, such as the Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Track record of design delivery for Network Rail projects.
- Previous Design experience is essential including knowledge of design calculations, reports and specifications to industry and national standards.
- Willingness and ability to be involved in the delivery of civil engineering projects and also of the civil engineering aspects of complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
- Sound comprehension of technical principles underlying civil engineering, particularly civil engineering structures.
- Experienced in the production of drawings in collaboration with CAD technicians
- Sound comprehension of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes.
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes, particularly Word and Excel.
- Proven track record of producing high quality deliverables with little supervision.
- Relevant rail industry experience of working within a design consultancy essential. Wider knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation desirable
- Excellent spoken and written English.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.