Our Transportation Division is currently seeking Principal Engineers in our South Wales offices in Cardiff and Swansea to assist with the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary highway projects across the UK. Using your excellent people, project management, technical and delivery skills, you’ll drive a variety of civil designs for new build, renewal, maintenance and assessment works.
You’ll be working as part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Welsh Government, Highway England, design and build contractors and other niche clients. You’ll also have the opportunity to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
Ideally you’ll have a background in design and delivery of a range of highway schemes. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
You’ll be a natural leader who’s used to rolling up your sleeves up to ensure our teams always delivers great things. Instinctively motivated to help, achieve and go beyond to meet client needs.
We’d expect you to:-
- Lead the delivery of civil engineering projects / civil engineering input in to complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
- Use your excellent analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
- Stay abreast of industry developments and changes in standards.
- Develop more junior staff by technical training and mentoring. You’ll most likely be acting as a Delegated Engineer or Supervising Civil Engineer for those under formal training contracts.
- Be available to travel across the UK and work away from home on occasion; this might include periods overseas of 3 to 6 months.
- A degree in civil engineering or relevant discipline.
- Chartered status and corporate membership of the ICE.
- Ability to develop and decide on scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverable, delivering within set time frame.
- Good project management skills, commercial awareness, financial control and ability to deliver across a range of contract types. This will include an ability to manage stakeholders, e.g. specialist suppliers, independent checkers and local authorities.
- Commercially astute and an excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra management responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
- Sound knowledge of Project Governance and Development Processes
- Thorough comprehension of relevant design standards
- Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Awareness of business models adopted in the sector and commercial and technical risks.
- Experience of running and contributing to bids and tenders.
- Wide knowledge of Statutory process associated with highway schemes
- Experience of Local Public Inquiries relating to highway schemes
- Experience of client engagement and business development activities.
- Positive and practical with experience of managing resources, mentoring engineers and inspiring multidisciplinary teams to exceed client expectations
- Knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation.
Join us in this role and you can take your transportation career so much further. We offer the opportunity to work across different disciplines, in different UK offices and even to take up international or client-based secondments. So you won’t just be helping to shape the world of tomorrow, you’ll be shaping your own future too. We’ve got a lively culture where people from a diverse range of backgrounds support and inspire each other to achieve great things. So alongside excellent rewards and benefits, you’ll enjoy being part of a team that builds strong bonds both in and out of work!
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.