you are looking for an opportunity to lead and develop a materials and corrosion capability, then this could be the role for you.
Working within our Energy business in Bristol, you will work as part of our Design and Analysis team.
You will have a track record of solving materials selection, fabrication and corrosion protection problems in the offshore sector and delivering timely solutions based on a balance of pragmatism and robust analysis. The primary focus of your work is expected to be on design projects for clients in the offshore industry. There will also be opportunities to undertake challenging technical work within our wider energy portfolio of oil and gas, conventional power and nuclear, and to provide expert technical advice to colleagues and clients in other sectors across Atkins.
You will be required to engage closely and regularly with clients both to deliver work and to develop new workstreams and opportunities. Building the strength of the capability and developing a cohesive team-working atmosphere will be an essential part of the role. Long-term technical and managerial development opportunities within the broad Atkins businesses are wide-ranging.
You’ll be a confident and clear communicator with proven experience of writing accurate, detailed and technical reports as well as having reviewed the work of others. With a passion in your subject area, you will have experience of presenting at workshops and / or conferences and therefore be comfortable in explaining concepts and designs to inexperienced audiences. You will take an active interest in mentoring and training junior colleagues to meet the high standards we expect.
Should you be interested in being appointed at more senior levels, you will also have experience of formal technical leadership and/or staff line management roles and responsibilities.
In addition you would be expected to demonstrate the following technical requirements;
- Qualified to degree level or higher in a relevant engineering, scientific or technical discipline. Chartered status with a relevant engineering institute or other body, or evidence that submission of an application to achieve chartered status is imminent.
- A record of solving design, analysis, materials selection, fabrication and welding specification, corrosion assessment and corrosion protection problems.
- Knowledge and experience applying these skills in the offshore industry and/or closely related fields from which with they are directly transferable.
- Examples to demonstrate the length and depth of your experience in areas such as the following will be required:
- Engineering materials selection and specification:
- Development of a materials selection philosophy and subsequent full specification through front-end engineering design (FEED) and detailed design phases of a project.
- Development of fabrication specifications, including requirements for welding specification and inspection, to provide a clear and comprehensive set of procedures for clients, fabricators and other third parties.
- The ability to review and, if appropriate, amend specifications in response to challenges and queries arising from independent certification, procurement, and fabrication
- Corrosion protection design:
- Development of corrosion protection philosophies and subsequent full specifications for FEED and detailed design.
- Development of coating system specifications, including knowledge of both organic paints and metallic coatings.
- Cathodic protection system design, including the use of validation methods (e.g. boundary element modelling) and survey requirements to verify performance. Experience of both sacrificial anode (SACP) and impressed current (ICCP) systems would be advantageous.
- Use of corrosion resistant materials and corrosion allowance in an integrated corrosion protection and control design.
- Co-ordination of activities and co-operation with other design teams (e.g. primary and secondary structural steel, electrical systems) to achieve an integrated and efficient design process.
- Familiarity with the relevant design codes and recommended practices applicable to materials selection, fabrication specification and corrosion protection for offshore structures. Knowledge of design codes applicable to offshore structures, pipework and pipelines would also be advantageous.
- Ideally you will have practical experience working and/or observing fabrication and coating operations both onshore and offshore, and hence an ability to comment on and recommend a pragmatic balance between the requirements of design codes and concessions which may be requested by fabricators or other third parties.
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2015’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in virtually every region of the world, in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
- This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Energy sector in the UK. As part of a single Energy business, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our Energy clients and also for international travel as part of the global Energy business.
- Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
- Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house and well as external training for all of our staff.
Reward & Benefits
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave. Flexible working options will be considered for this vacancy.