Atkins offices have a strong and growing Permanent Way workload due to current commitments on several large frameworks and multidisciplinary projects across the UK. Our workload and client base is both varied and interesting with our core works comprising line speed & route capacity improvement schemes and S&C remodelling and renewals. In addition to this, the wider Atkins Transportation business is involved in Crossrail Anglia, HS2 and several National Electrification schemes and some overseas works, further underlining the positive outlook within our Transportation and Permanent Way businesses.
To support this growth, Atkins is looking to recruit Principal Engineer(s) for our southern offices covering Swindon/Bristol/Cardiff to undertake CRE roles on current and future design schemes. As a CRE, the successful candidates will oversee design development and play a proactive role in ensuring good quality, compliant and fully coordinated designs are produced by the teams, and ultimately review & approve all designs prior to client submission. They will also be required to provide mentorship and support the career development of other Permanent Way team members.
Specific skills and past experiences in the following are sought:
- HNC/HND/Degree Civil Engineering or equivalent
- Proven Permanent Way Rail design experience, including: S&C designs, linespeed & route capacity improvements, and optioneering studies
- Experience of leading a Permanent Way design team, including providing mentorship and supporting the development of other Permanent Way Engineers
- Experienced in undertaking design checks and reviews of outline and detailed design schemes
- Experienced in undertaking Permanent Way CRE role as per NR standard requirements on multidisciplinary schemes
- Proactive approach towards CRE duties ensuring the production of good quality, compliant and fully coordinated designs
- Good knowledge of Network Rail and Railway Group standards relevant to Permanent Way design
- Proven record in successfully delivering designs to programme and budget
- Experience of BRT design software
- Experience of Microstation software
- Previous experience of team / resource management
- Chartered Engineer with a relevant Institution – ICE, CIHT, IMechE etc. (desirable)
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving membership of relevant institutions (if not already achieved).
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.