The Contaminated Land and Hydrogeology Practice within Atkins is a well-established multi-disciplinary environmental and engineering practice with an extensive portfolio of projects. We have a number of national frameworks and have considerable experience working with numerous local authorities on due diligence and peer review projects and private clients / developers on the investigation, assessment, remediation and redevelopment of brownfield land.
We currently have opportunities for experienced Principal / Senior Environmental Consultants, with a strong technical and project management skillset, preferably to join our growing Birmingham team, but other locations will be considered. The work involves local, national and international projects being delivered by Atkins across a range of exciting markets, including the development of Cities, Transportation and Energy Infrastructure.
We are looking for highly motivated, experienced, and adaptable individuals with skills in contaminated land, risk assessments, brownfield land regeneration, regulatory engagement, project management and the ability to complete peer reviews and internal technical reviews, and deliver the high standard of geo-environmental consultancy services for which Atkins is renowned.
- Project Management and the technical delivery of a wide variety of projects ensuring delivery on time, within budget and to an high standard.
- Providing technical guidance, constructive support and mentoring to junior staff and supporting their technical development.
- Liaison with clients, stakeholders, regulators, sub contractors and other internal disciplines.
- Supporting senior management in developing new business and the preparation of commercial offers.
- Working with the local and wider Atkins team across the UK.
- Continue to develop own competence and maintain CPD with support from the business.
- MEng, MSc, BEng (Hons), or BSc (Hons) in a relevant science or engineering subject (e.g. geology, geotechnics, hydrogeology, chemistry, environmental science).
- Demonstrate a proven track record in contaminated land with knowledge and experience in Phase 1 Desk Studies, Phase 2 Site Investigations, options appraisals, and remediation design, supervision and verification / validation for a range of different types of projects and clients.
- Demonstrate a proven track record of project management of contaminated land and brownfield projects including managing small project teams resulting in delivery to high standards.
- Chartered (or actively working towards chartership) with either GeolSoc, ICE or CIWEM. If not Chartered, we would expect the candidate, with our support, to become chartered 6 to 12 months after joining.
- Good working knowledge and demonstrable understanding of the relevant legislation, technical guidance and industry standards and best practice for contaminated land and waste.
- Be able to mentor junior staff and technically check their work, and also to complete peer reviews of other consultants work.
- Commercial awareness and understanding including being able to complete tenders.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern and flexible working locations for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.
Atkins is committed to developing its staff and has recently established a professional’s programme which focuses the professional development of senior staff within the company. Atkins also invests in the core technical disciplines that comprise our business with established technical network forums for contaminated land and brownfield regeneration which drives knowledge sharing, staff development and innovation across our practice and broader business.
We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house and well as external training in addition to the professional program and technical networks noted above.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.