Function and Scope
Principal Structural Engineering Technical Leadership role, reporting to the Structural Engineering Design Director and directly responsible for the technical performance of structural engineering design within the GDC.
Responsible for the development and implementation of the highest levels of Technical Delivery of Structural Engineering design in line with Atkins Design Principles.
Responsible for implementing a learning and development programme under the direction of the Structural Engineering Design Director to improve and develop the technical competence of the Structural Engineering teams throughout GDC offices.
Line of Reporting
Principal structural engineers will report to discipline lead in the GDC.
- Ensure full briefing documentation have been received and reviewed for completeness and handovers have been conducted before GDC teams commence with MEPD projects
- Lead engineering teams to undertake specialist and complex packages of structural engineering analysis and design to required quality and industry best practise including the preparation of design documents including calculation packages, reports, presentations and specifications from MEPD projects in the GDC.
- Lead technical interfaces and coordination of design within the discipline and multidisciplinary technical interfaces across disciplines at a project level with the MEPD teams.
- Lead requirements to ensure technical quality is consistency achieved through regular monitoring and review of work by others or under their supervision including reviewing design work carried out by members of the team in line with project specific requirements and Atkins BMS
- Review, assess and provide recommendations for improvements to all aspects of the technical design processes required for offshore working.
- Offer support, guidance and mentoring to junior members of the team to develop there competencies.
- Manage interface with BIM Technicians to produce relevant structural documentation to the meet brief requirements and best practise.
- Develop and maintain relationships built in trust within the discipline, across the GDC teams and with MEPD teams and senior MEPD leadership in both locations.
- Manage work stage budgets through detailed monitoring and reforecasting of resource demands to delivery work packages within allocated budgets and programme and provide mitigation strategies to address potential issues with budgets.
- Attending design team meetings, briefing sessions and project reviews are required by projects.
- Travel as necessary to MEPG office in Dubai for project start-ups briefing and close outs as required.
- Have a recognised degree in Structural Engineering.
- Minimum of 12 years professional experience with past Middle East Experience preferred
- Working towards Chartered Structural Engineer (IStructE or equivalent).
- Developed technical knowledge of Structural Engineering of Building-Type Projects, with particular reference to Structural Steelwork, Structural Concrete and associated Structural Analysis
- Working knowledge of relevant structural design software including but not limited to ETABS, Safe, Staad Pro, Robot, Strand 7, Prokon.
- Design/Detailing Software
- Proven experience in the development of structural concepts and schemes for various building typologies and forms.
- Proven track record of successful contribution to the technical delivery of contract compliant. Structural Engineering designs to budget and programme targets.
- Technical knowledge and experience of European/US-based design codes/standards and Statutory Regulations.
- Experience in collaborative working and coordination within the team, internal Atkins disciplines and external consultants and clients
- Confidence to work within multi-disciplinary design environments.
- Excellent planning, time management and communication skills.
- Considers/ reflects on short, medium and long term objectives
- Develops/nurtures relationships across businesses
- Has the client at the forefront of thinking
- Responds well when there is a clear need to support the success of other parts of the business
- Offers ideas and suggestions for improving working practices
- Always delivers what is required, but also puts in that little bit extra when needed
- Finds ways of building a good rapport with customers and to better understand their needs
- Quick to ask for help on technical or practical matters