Atkins have recently defined a “One Atkins 2020” Organisational strategy. To support this strategy, IS have defined an operating model for 2020 to revolutionise the way IS is provided to the organisation, moving from a BAU focus to a Business Value driven organisation. Key concepts include: Moving to digital products, adopting agile across the organisation, leveraging cloud, and focus on supporting bid and delivery.
Be responsible for the delivery, on-going success and continuous improvement of digital products and services that are critical to Atkins ability to deliver work to our clients. Lead and motivate agile teams that the gap between Atkins’ business and the development and technical worlds. Deliver new products, or enhancements to existing products from conception to launch and then throughout the product life cycle.
This role will involve significant coordination across multiple teams. As well as working with stakeholders from Atkins’ business sectors, it will also work closely with the Client Technology team who are responsible for liaising with the business to understand the commercial viability of new products, market positioning and pricing strategy.
- Responsible for the successful development, launch and in-life management of the ASSIST platform along with other products in the portfolio if required, working within multi-disciplinary agile delivery teams. Coordinate with software development (internal and/or third party), Client Technology, Technical Services, Compliance, Service Desk & Release Management. Work effectively within and across teams to get things accomplished.
Gather, analyse, validate, specify and manage the real needs and priorities of Users and other stakeholders, working closely with Product Owners from the Atkins’ business and with end users (whether Atkins employees or Clients) to gather product requirements from a platform perspective. Develop an understanding of the various personas of the user community. Ensure the product delivers best in class User Experience.
Create effective, prioritised product descriptions and backlogs to meet user needs at the platform level and also for each instance, keeping continually up to date with changes to user preferences and behaviours across the platform. Assess the value proposition of each new feature and the “pain points” it addresses. Present product requirements and features to external audiences and internal audiences for agreement on budget appropriation and commercial return. Review, comment, follow-up, and target bug and enhancement requests.
Work cooperatively with software development teams (in house, third party and offshore) ensuring that requirements are understood and at sufficient level of detail to be actionable. Understand the implications of technical decisions and trade-offs and be able to explain these to Product Owners, Client Technology and Users.
Work with Product Owners (Business), Users, Client Technology Directors, Technical Services and Enterprise Architects to establish a product roadmap at the platform and instance level that delivers the required business capabilities and features as well as incorporating the instances required by various businesses/client
Support the delivery of instances through effective analysis of qualitative and quantitative user data and metrics.
Deliver subject-matter-expertise consultancy to business partners to support bids or service delivery for the ASSIST platform
Make ASSIST the go to product for all site inspection needs within the group, to be used in bids as well as by clients and contractors
Evaluating off-the-shelf products/services as part or all of the platform solution and ensuring that a regular review is made of build vs buy decisions.
Where needed, build and maintain relationships with the 3rd party software providers and offshore development teams to establish positive, effective working relationships and establish supply chain efficiencies.
Manage the product budget and where necessary develop business cases for enhancements or changes at the platform which may need to be centrally funded but where the margins/revenue to be realised and tested are supplied by Client Technology.
Liaise with Client Technology and Business Change Leads to ensure Release Readiness in target markets.
Work with Client Technology and Product Owners to ensure that products return value by identifying and measuring success metrics.
Promoting and supporting the use of their products through marketing awareness and guidance, liaising with Client Technology and the Business Change Leads in region
- Extensive application product management experience ideally in either a consultancy or in a commercial B2B software product environment.
- A demonstrated experience of software product management and how products are developed/enhanced and successfully launched.
- Having breadth and depth knowledge of digital technologies associated with delivering B2B digital services. A good understanding of Web and Mobile Apps and how they are developed, API’s, Databases (SQL & NoSQL) and Cloud based services and modern development methodologies is essential.
- Able to demonstrate an experience of the Software Product Management role of gathering, understanding and communicating user requirements, creating user stories, maintaining a product backlog, and driving agile product development using Lean, SCRUM, Kanban or some other agile methodology.
- An understanding of Cloud and SaaS (Software as a Service), with particular emphasis on platform based features and instance deployments
- Able to demonstrate how to put the customer first with strong customer communications and the ability to validate product ideas.
- Proactive and able to identify and deliver improvements and new products/services to meet the demands of the business and bring cost and process efficiencies, backed up with a good understanding of the market offerings in the Digital Engineering space.
- An entrepreneurial and resourceful drive with appreciation of user-experience, business and commercial issues.
- Experience of working with software vendors and suppliers and with offshore/distributed clients and development teams.
- Well-rounded individual who will contribute to a highly effective team delivering products to our customers. Proactive with bias toward action and an ability to break down complex problems into steps that drive product development at speed.
- Will have the Interpersonal skills needed to negotiate priorities and resolve conflicts among project stakeholders (such as customers, development teams and engineering).
- Good communication skills – verbal and written – are a must. Also needs: Listening skills – to understand what people say and detect what they might be hesitant to say. An ability to talk with individuals and groups about their needs and ask the right questions to surface essential requirements information.
- A hands-on software development experience would be a significant benefit.
- Experience with any of the following technologies would be a plus: Asset Management Systems, Commercial B2B apps, MS Azure, SaaS/PaaS, Digital Engineering Design tools, Content Management systems, AV/VR, Project Management Tools (e.g. Oracle Unifier, Primavera)
- UI/UX experience a plus.
(these are relevant for all roles in GIS & to be evidenced through examples at interview)
• We use our curiosity, innovation and creativity to solve problems in cool ways
• We seek out opportunities, and really listen to our customers’ problems
• We work together in a dynamic and agile way to make change happen quickly
We’re experimenters …
• We’re not afraid to try different ways of doing things
• We’re champions for new ideas and tools
• Building close, trusted partnerships really matters to us
• We share our knowledge and work in a collaborative ways, joining together for the best results
Additional Information and Benefits
to other company sites may be necessary.
working options may be considered for this vacancy.
- Please refer to our website for full details
of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to
15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days
paid annual leave.
- Atkins develops our employees through a
portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make
the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all
forms of training and have a programme of in-house and well as external
training for all of our engineers.
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25
Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers
for Women 2015’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we
believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical
skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. Our commitment to
staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework
agreements with key clients.
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and
design consultancies, operating in most regions of the world, and in virtually
every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the
opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of
our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the
perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.