The Atkins UK Infrastructure Projects Delivery Directorate (PDD) is a centre of excellence for the Project governance of Infrastructure projects and a home unit for our Project Management Staff. PDD is responsible for delivery of Atkins major projects design services across Rail, Defence, Aviation, Energy and Urban Developments for a number of high profile Clients including EDF, Transport for London, AWE, BAE Systems, Thames Water, Heathrow and Gatwick Airport, Horizon, High Speed 2 and various large Contractors.
We have an exciting new opportunity for a Programme Director to lead all of Atkins activities on the Hinkley Point C development. This £19bn project is one of the highest profile construction projects in the UK and represents a significant career opportunity for the right candidate to make a big impact both on the project and within Atkins. The role will be primarily be based at the client’s offices either on site or in Bristol City Centre and will include responsibility for interfacing with clients, identifying new business opportunities, leading our site delivery team and overseeing project delivery.
The Programme Director will be responsible for:
• Overall coordination of a portfolio of projects to contractual arrangements and the agreed financial outcome
• Working with our key clients to maintain and develop excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business
• Expanding the Atkins business and assisting with the delivery of business targets
• Preparing bids, draft and negotiate consultancy contracts
• Providing Leadership, direction and mentoring to Project Directors/Managers, responsible for large scale multi-disciplinary teams developing high quality solutions on time and budget
• Facing and Liaising with senior stakeholders, including Client Project Directors (or equivalent) to resolve issues early and safeguard our interests and secure additional work through performance
• Ensuring appropriate resources and expertise are made available and that an appropriate project management framework is in place
• Coordinating with global resource leaders within Atkins to share work and to work collaboratively across the Atkins Group
• Responding to and dealing with any contractual/commercial risks as soon as they are identified; develop Project risk management strategies
• Where acting as Project Director, carrying out regular Project reviews to encompass all aspects of project delivery.
• Customer client focused with excellent relationship management skills
• Ability to contribute to business strategy for growth and expansion
• Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with clients and team members alike
• Experience with private and public sector clients and appreciating different drivers and approaches to management and procurement
• Chartered Engineer or equivalent with significant experience managing design commissions on large infrastructure projects including site based implementation
• Market sector experience across a range of Infrastructure projects but ideally exposure to projects in the Energy sector
• Ability to build and motivate a team and demonstrate good leadership qualities
• Understands and has experience in deploying various forms of construction contract, in particular NEC3
• Programme Management experience at a senior level with a successful track record of managing and delivering multi-disciplinary Projects
• Proven ability to keep control in pressed situations, deliver work within set timeframes and create a well motivated team and ability to find solutions to complex organisational problems
• Be available to travel across the UK and work away from home, including periods overseas on assignments, when required.