Atkins is one of the world’s leading engineering and design consultancies. It is a FTSE 250 Company with a revenue of approx £1.4bn. It employs approximately 17,000 employees globally, of which circa 10,000 are UK based. At any one time, the Group is delivering several thousand projects out of its UK offices, ranging in size from small scale, short-term pieces of work to highly complex projects delivered over several years.
The key purpose of the role is to support Project Managers to manage the financial aspects of their projects, and to enable timely collection of cash from clients through prompt issuing of accurate invoices.
The role is part of the Project Accounting Team based in our Epsom and Worcester offices. This team provides project accounting and invoicing services to the Atkins Group UK based businesses.
The role is based in our Epsom Gateway office and is a 6 month Fixed Term Contract.
The role will be part of a co-located Project Accounting Team, and all members of the team will work closely together, reporting to a Team Leader.
The role will support one of the 5 UK-based businesses and will work closely with the Project Managers and embedded Finance Teams in this business who will generally be located at a different UK office or client site.
Supporting effective management of Client invoicing, including:
- Liaising with Project Managers to ensure that all invoicing is completed in a timely basis.
- Preparing sales invoices, applications for payment and credit notes and any necessary supporting documentation.
- Preparing and distributing information regarding unbilled balances.
- Obtaining approval for sales invoices and credit notes.
- Posting invoices and credit notes onto the finance system.
- Working closely with Project Managers, and the Cash Collections Team to ensure timely resolution of any billing queries, and collection of cash.
Supporting Project Managers to understand the financial performance of their projects.
- Supporting the correct set-up of new projects in the finance system.
- Supporting correct allocation of costs to projects, eg by coding invoices, setting up access for staff to be able them to book their time to a project, and correcting coding or time booking errors.
- Preparing and distributing job-related information and reports, e.g. time and expense reports.
- Supporting the controlled closure of completed jobs in the finance system.
Supporting the implementation of new processes and procedures:
- Support the Team Leaders and Head of Project Accounting with design and implementation of process improvements.
It is essential for candidates for this role to demonstrate:
- Experience of working in a busy finance function, preferably working as part of a team involved with preparing client invoices.
- Good analytical, numerical and technical skills, together with a good working knowledge of Excel (including sorting and filtering data, pivot tables and lookups).
- Good attention to detail.
- The ability to work collaboratively, building strong relationships with colleagues in their own and other teams and with business and project managers to ensure joined-up delivery .
- Ability to explain financial issues to non finance staff in a clear and concise manner.
- Capability to manage a diverse range of activities with short, medium and long term deadlines, prioritising workload to meet deadlines.
- A desire to own tasks and the resilience to work through issues to conclusion, maintaining energy and motivation .
- Good written and verbal communication skills .
- An enquiring mind and a confident, proactive approach.
It is desirable for candidates for this role to have:
- Studied for a relevant degree or currently studying for an accounting qualification.
- Experience of using accounting systems to extract financial information for review and collation.
- Knowledge of VAT
- Knowledge of JD Edwards accounting software.
Additional Information and Benefits
to other company sites may be necessary.
working options may be considered for this vacancy.
- Please refer to our website for full details
of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to
15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days
paid annual leave.
- Atkins develops our employees through a
portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make
the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all
forms of training and have a programme of in-house and well as external
training for all of our engineers.
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25
Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers
for Women 2015’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we
believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical
skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. Our commitment to
staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework
agreements with key clients.
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and
design consultancies, operating in most regions of the world, and in virtually
every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the
opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of
our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the
perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.