Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women’ in 2015. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations
Atkins’ Aerospace, Defence, Security & Technology (ADS&T) division delivers a range of services into the Aerospace, Defence, Security & Intelligence and Civil Government markets, and also supports the wider Atkins group with complex assignments.
About the opportunity
Atkins is looking for Project Control Consultants, who have a wider background in Project Management, to fill a variety of roles across a number of grades with an emphasis on the following areas;
- Risk and Opportunity Management
- Cost Engineering
- Project Planning
- Change Management
The successful candidate will be required to be geographically mobile to work on projects based in the North West (including Barrow) and across the South West.
We have PMO positions available within Atkins ADS&T as part of the continued growth of our PMO Services. The roles are suitable for candidates who have a Project Control or coordination background in a Programme and Project Management environment.
Working from within our P3M Practice, you will primarily work as a client facing member of a project team. Much of your work will be with our defence clients supporting the delivery of engineering and technology projects although there may be opportunities across other market sectors within Atkins.
You will be given significant responsibility for client-facing work from day one. All of our Consultants are expected to have regular interactions with clients and to support senior colleagues in delivering specific project outputs.
The key assets in our business are the right people and our continued success depends upon recruiting and retaining talented professionals from a multitude of backgrounds. We are as committed to diversity as we are to excellence. It is essential you possess well developed written and verbal communication skills and can demonstrate strong stakeholder skills and/or have consultancy experience.
Consultants are also expected to make a contribution to Practice and business development. This may include being part of a bid team as well as developing new business propositions for existing clients or researching potential new markets
Experience in the Defence or Security & Intelligence sector would be an advantage but not essential.
- Provides advice and assistance to support adherence to project processes, using influence to work with a range of stakeholders to agree appropriate actions
- Provide support and process advice at key client meetings
- Participate in knowledge sharing activities with a view to developing continuous improvement to the service
- Provide advice and guidance to the client in the appropriate use of PRINCE2
- Build effective relationships and operate effectively within a multi-team environment
- Presents views with honesty and conviction
Candidates should demonstrate their skills and experience with evidence from a lead or coordinator role based on one or more of the following Project Control disciplines:
Project Controls: Risk Management
- Detailed working knowledge of risk lifecycle, tools and processes
- Ability to apply recognised risk management processes in complex and multi-stakeholder environments
- Good practical application of the relationship between risk, opportunities and assumptions
- Sufficient experience of risk management to recommend time, cost and performance impact criteria to project managers
- Strong facilitation skills and technical knowledge able to chair risk identification workshops and risk management meetings
Project Controls: Cost Engineering
- Experience of applying numerous cost estimation techniques to facilitate project initiation
- Experience of applying cost control techniques to include earned value management across a variety of projects
- Management of actual and forecast costs against an agreed budget and demonstrable evidence of recovery actions taken to avoid exceeding agreed budget
- Presentation of cost forecast information to Senior Management
- Application of Earned Value Management processes and reporting
Project Controls: Project Planning
- Experience of planning a programme or project using a recognised planning tool or technique (preferably Primavera P6)
- Experience of leading the production and subsequent management of, Work, Activity and Organisational breakdown structures
- Demonstrable evidence of actions undertaken to maintain schedule and avoid project slip
- Application of continuous scrutiny to ensure project schedule is maintained, milestones are achieved
- Project stage boundary facilitation
- Confident to challenge assumed slips to baseline and recommend mitigation activity such as resource reprofiling if required
- Application of Earned Value Management processes and reporting
Project Controls: Procurement
- Experience of identifying and acquiring the necessary resources to deliver a project
- Experience of drafting procurement strategies, preferably to include both single source and competitive tenders
- Demonstrate confidence and maintain high professional standards during Contract negotiations, contract management and supplier relations
- Correctly identifies and incorporates appropriate terms and conditions for inclusion within Contract
- Project Controls: Change Management
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the project change control process and its role in programme/project management
- Experience of managing formal changes to a project’s baseline scope, time, cost of performance objectives
- Confidence and ability to assume position of project change control custodian
- Experience of change control reporting and key management information assurance
- Teamwork – Ability to work cooperatively with others and provide help where required
- Communication – High emotional intelligence - listens and questions effectively, concise verbal and written communication skills and effective questioning/listening skills. Able to communicate with confidence at higher and lower levels
- Flexibility – Ability to adapt approach to individual situations and remain calm under pressure
- Willing to work flexible working week if required. Understand the needs and constraints of projects, and have the ability to flex around these constraints
- Customer Focus – Delivers a high level of customer service to our external and internal customers
- Achievement – Looks to exceed client aspirations and works to goals and manages obstacles. Energy, pride and determination in meeting targets and overcoming challenges
- Initiative – Ability to analyse data and situations, break down work into key tasks and activities
- Development – Wants to continually develop new skills and undertake personal training and CPD
- Ethics and integrity – uphold Atkins high professional standards at all times
- Advocacy – be an ambassador for our wider business at all times
- Collegiate – Manage client demands whilst contributing to the development of the P3M Practice
You will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
Rewards & Benefits
Please refer to our Rewards and Benefits page for details on our full benefits package, which includes 25 days annual leave with the option to buy up an additional 15 more days. Flexible working options will be considered for this vacancy.