Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and one of the world's largest design firm with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects.
At Atkins, we offer our employees more than just a job; we offer an opportunity to shape the world for generations to come through innovative and sound design. As the official engineer of the 2012 London Olympics, few companies can rival the size and diversity of our projects. Whether it’s the concept for a new skyscraper, the upgrade of a rail network, the modeling of a flood defense system or the improvement of a management process, we plan, design and enable solutions.
Atkins seeks an energetic, highly motivated, detail-oriented, self-starter to join our Reno, NV staff as a Transportation Project Director to manage staff in Henderson and other nearby regional offices.
• Oversees the operations of the highway discipline with the Atkins West Highway Practice center housed in the company’s technical professional organization (TPO).
• Coordinates the allocation of personnel to staff projects and pursuits.
• Supports the Practice Director in creating plans to develop and grow centers of excellence within the highway practices.
• Works with the Practice Director and TPO Director to identify staffing needs and engages HR support to assist in the recruitment and selection of additional staff.
• Supervises technical managers and senior technical professionals and provides direction on employee development activities and shared goals throughout the highway discipline.
• Responsible for driving a culture of technical excellence throughout the sub-practice by providing opportunities for growth and development of technical staff and ensuring sound quality control and safety procedures are employed by all staff.
• Ensures compliance to company policy, process, and quality control and safety procedures as directed by the practice director.
With BU Managers and Project Managers, identifies current and future staffing availability based on technical and budgetary requirements of future workload and manpower projections. Reviews manager recommendations to recruit, hire, transfer or terminate staff. Reviews and approves/rejects recommendations for salary offers for new hire candidates as well as salary and position adjustment actions for staff, per the Authorization Matrix. Recommends personnel actions for direct reports. Conducts semi-annual performance reviews and annual career planning sessions with direct reports. Provides staff with ongoing performance feedback and counsel to promote improved performance and career development. Helps staff identify and pursue technical and professional development activities consistent with their career development goals and operating unit objectives/needs. Ensures staff compliance with company policies and procedures.
Project Production and Management:
Ensure appropriate staff allocation to projects in consideration of project schedules, budgets, key milestone dates and work products. Monitors and enforces compliance with established quality control standards, ensuring that appropriate quality assurance activities are being performed throughout the operating unit. Reviews project QC plans and periodic QA compliance audits on current or recently completed projects. Assists staff in resolving problems concerning work with the various business units.
Maintains visibility and professional currency by actively participating in professional and civic organizations and encourages staff to do the same. Works with Practice Director and other senior leadership to design and implement development tracks for technical staff, with a focus on building technical excellence at all levels of the organization.
Marketing and Client Maintenance:
Develops, implements, and updates strategic plans for the technical practice considering market trends and changes in production and delivery of services. With the sales directors, participates in pursuing new project opportunities for firm by maintaining contacts with current and prospective clients. May review project proposal preparations and interview teams. Identifies and works toward the resolution of client relations problems.
Contracts and Financial:
May assist sales leads and project manager’s staff new pursuits and contract negotiations. Develops and recommends budget for approval by practice director and TPO director, including appropriate costs for industry involvement and client maintenance. Monitors monthly operating unit performance against budget. Approves purchase requests for capital items as specified in the Authorization Matrix.
· P.E. license is required.
· Minimum of 12-15 years of experience, with at least three of these years in a senior operating management position.
· Experience developing and leading a minimum of 8-10 direct reports.
· Willing to engage with Business Unit and Technical Professional Organization leadership to assist with growing company presence in the region.
· Extensive project management experience. Experience with large/heavy highway design a plus.
· Prior experience working with Departments of Transportation and current contacts/relationships preferred.
· Excellent technical and interpersonal skills.
· Proven ability to manage large scope operations and provide leadership to multiple levels of management.
· Must have business vision, excellent communication skills, and be able to represent the firm effectively to staff, clients, and the community in general.
· Promote high performance and consistent accountability at all levels within the TPO.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Atkins is a drug free workplace.