Atkins’ Transportation is our centre of excellence for the design of highway and rail infrastructure projects. We aim to be the first choice designer for local and national highway authorities, Network Rail, contractors and developers. We are working on a number of high profile projects and frameworks nationwide, including Cambridge to Huntingdon A14 upgrade and Smart Motorways programme through the Collaborative Delivery Framework for Highways England, Cross Rail, Great Western Electrification Programme, HS2 and related projects.
To build on our success and to meet our growth ambitions we are seeking high calibre project leaders at a number of locations. You will take the lead on adding to our expanding portfolio of challenging UK transportation projects. We are looking for people who can engage with clients, develop relationships and opportunities, direct or manage bids and deliver project outcomes to delighted clients. As our industry is moving to more collaborative models of project delivery, we want to work with people who show the right behaviours to work successfully with clients and partners in collaborative teams and alliances.
We will seek to appoint people to work with our infrastructure teams based in Bristol, although there will also be a requirement to travel across the UK and potentially abroad to meet the needs of our projects and clients. Our model of project delivery includes working with teams from across the UK and from our Global Delivery Centres in India. You would travel as necessary to enable them to form a high performing team and ensure successful project delivery.
- Winning and delivering projects with our key clients by:
o Engaging with clients to develop and share client knowledge
o Identifying, tracking and developing opportunities
o Preparing and managing winning bids with regard to both quality and price
o Leading or managing project teams to deliver both client and Atkins desired programme, quality and commercial outcomes
- Contributing to management of a delivery Practice
- Embodying safety leadership to develop behavioural safety on projects and in teams
- Ensuring work is “right first time” through implementing technical and quality assurance
- Liaising with and managing senior stakeholders internally and externally.
- Maintaining a knowledge base of current and future developments in the transportation field and sharing this with a wide group of infrastructure professionals.
- Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client focused manner.
- Working as part of collaborative project teams with clients, contractors and JV partners
- Working collaboratively across the Atkins Group.
- Mentoring and supporting the development of the team.
- Line management of more junior staff.
- A track record of excellent project delivery on programme, deliverable quality and risk management with excellent client feedback and a fee value in excess of £100k per month
- Appropriate academic and professional qualifications, including Chartered Member of a relevant Professional Institution with solid experience in a leading project role.
- Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Network Rail, Local Authorities, Highways England, developers and major contractors.
- Experience of successful opportunity development and management
- Experience of developing successful bids
- Proven ability to maintain relevant skills and knowledge and pass these on to others
- The ability to lead collaborative work teams
- Proven ability to manage and organise the workload of self and others to meet programme and budget targets and deliver agreed commercial outcomes
- Proven ability to keep control in pressurised situations, deliver work to the required quality within set timeframes and create a well-motivated team
- Demonstrable passion for safety leadership
- Knowledge of Sales Excellence or similar opportunity development techniques.
- PRINCE 2 Practitioner or equivalent qualification in Project Management
- Knowledge of project scheduling and resourcing using Primavera or similar
- Experience of business process improvement techniques, for example, Lean Construction.
- Experience of construction and contract management and supervision
- Line management experience.
- Customer focused with good relationship management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- A hard working and flexible individual, who is a team player, possesses great attention to detail, is reliable, proactive and shows initiative whilst able to keep cool under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines.
- Ability to build and motivate a team and demonstrate good leadership qualities.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as within a larger multi-discipline team within an agreed budget and programme
- A high expectation of performance for themselves and other members of the team.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team.
- A collaborative approach to working with others focussing on customer value
- Be available to travel across the UK and work away from home for short periods
- Atkins is a truly global organisation and our strategy means much of our multi-disciplinary work spans various regions around the world. We especially welcome applications from those who are able to travel and spend periods of time abroad.
- Have a valid UK driving licence.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.