The core workload for the Transportation business is the delivery of multidisciplinary designs ranging from feasibility studies to detailed design, working either direct for rail and highway industry clients like Network Rail, Train Operating Companies, Transport Scotland, Local Authorities or increasingly for design and build contractors.
Atkins strength lies in the depth of experience that our teams have in each of the different disciplines that makes up these design contracts, and in our understanding of how these disciplines fit together so that we deliver an integrated solution to our clients
We are seeking an experienced Project Manager to be based in our Glasgow Office with an engineering background who will manage the delivery of these single or multi-disciplinary schemes. You will be responsible for delivering projects within budget and on programme and be the main point of contact with our Clients for these projects. You will also be involved in the preparation of Winning Proposals for invitations received from Clients. We are also seeking a suitable candidate to develop and build a Project Management and Project Controls team within our Glasgow Office.
You will be responsible for:
• Managing multidisciplinary teams within a project context.
• Meeting cost and time targets to deliver high quality multi-disciplinary infrastructure projects to clients.
• Work planning; definition of activities and programme.
• Commercial, risk and financial management and change control on projects.
• Managing the implementation and use of electronic document management systems.
• Ensuring compliance with CDM and other health, safety and environmental regulatory standards and requirements.
• Leading and contributing to the bid preparation and work winning process.
• Adherence to Atkins corporate processes and management systems.
• Developing and maintaining internal and external client relationships.
• Providing support and focal point for integration of other Atkins design teams.
• Ensuring compliance with Business Management, HSE and Quality procedures.
• Maintaining your knowledge of current design and regulatory standards
• Mentoring and developing staff to maximise their contribution to the business.
Experience and Skills
• Proven track record of infrastructure project delivery, preferably within the rail and highway industry to budget and programme to a range of client organisations.
• Experience of leading and managing geographically remote, multi-disciplinary design teams in a design environment.
• Good understanding of design procedures, change control, checking and review requirements.
• Experience of the implementation and management of electronic document management systems.
• A sound understanding of dispute resolution is also essential.
• Excellent communications skills, understanding of task time and people management.
• Degree or HNC in a relevant engineering or numerate discipline.
• APM RPP or Chartered Engineer status preferable.
• Be self-motivated and able to work both independently and as part of geographically remote teams.
• Demonstrable experience in a similar role.
• Have a proven track record of project delivery to time and cost, ideally within the Rail and Highway environment.
• Show flexibility in working patterns and locations to meet deadlines as and when required.
• Have excellent communications skills – written and oral.
• Have good presentation, report writing and reviewing skills.
• Possess a willingness to work with Clients and their project teams.
• Demonstrate a sound knowledge of the challenges that various disciplines face and what steps can be taken in this role to help them in the execution of their work.
• Have a reliable and responsible attitude, pay attention to detail and have a flexible approach to achieve the best outcomes.
• Demonstrate the ability to identify and input to activities in support of the wider business objectives that may draw upon skills in addition to those outlined above.
• Be keen to excel in a career in multi-disciplinary project management and help develop others toward this also.
• Demonstrable problem solving skills and a positive attitude irrespective of the situation and circumstance.