Atkins Transportation provide technical and project management services to major public sector bodies and to a number of prestigious private sector clients in the Road and Rail Sectors.
The South East Civils Practice operates a number of large-scale contracts and has set up a Project Support Office (PSO) to assist in providing all necessary support to our Project Management teams to deliver our projects efficiently and profitably.
To grow our team we require a Project Manager’s Assistant to support our Programme Manager and a number of Project Managers with their projects.
- Previous experience in a project support role
- Good organisational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks
- Good team player, willing to support the team and work collaboratively with others
- Ability to work proactively and, where appropriate, unsupervised to drive project delivery
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft Office
- Ability to work to challenging deadlines with a flexible approach and an ability to use own initiative to achieve desired outcomes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail, with the ability to produce quality documentation
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise with colleagues at all levels in a multi-discipline team environment
- Experience of interacting with customers, end users and technical teams
- Professional and trustworthy approach, able to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Experience of maintaining action tracker arising from weekly progress meetings
- Project planning, co-ordinating, monitoring and controlling using scheduling tools (MS Project or similar)
- Experience of using electronic document management systems and/or project collaboration software
- Experience of working with drawing / document registers
- Advanced use of Excel including pivot tables and VLookups.
- Advanced use of Microsoft Project for planning and programming, including base-line preparation and management, and resource and cost loading
- Knowledge of project control methods such as EVA; experience of tracking planned vs achieved progress and preparing recovery plans to cope with the variance
- Experience of weekly Look-ahead schedule preparation in line with the remaining budget and giving inputs to the Programme Manager and Project Managers
- Preparing weekly and monthly reports and providing progress reviews to Programme Manager and Project Managers
- Experience of project finances and sound understanding of commercial issues.
The role will involve:
- Close working with the Programme Manager to provide support on the overall commercial and operational requirements of projects within a portfolio
- Data collation and regular reporting on project/contract key performance indicators across the portfolio
- Support in developing and driving best practice and streamlining PSO processes
- Supporting individual Project Managers in:
- Implementing Atkins quality and commercial procedures for running projects
- Assisting with tracking project spend, collating and monitoring accruals and invoicing
- Maintaining project tracking databases for monitoring and reporting, and actively chasing activities to ensure response time and milestones are met
- Assist in reporting quality and commercial progress and performance to clients
- Track / control other project correspondence and documentation as required
- Other support duties will include:
- Quality checks on tasks orders and deliverable reports
- Attend project and team meetings, as required, preparing documentation and taking minutes
The position is to be based in Epsom. The job holder will be required to travel occasionally to other offices for face-to-face meetings with Project Managers and clients.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.