We are seeking a Radiation Protection Engineer who thrives on being busy and having a sense of achievement at the end of each day. Do you want to deliver – for yourself, for the organisation and for the client?
We need an experienced Radiation Protection Engineer who loves to guide and deliver multiple projects simultaneously and seek to nurture and develop client relationships. You will enjoy working closely with our clients on a range of demanding problems whilst mentoring and supporting junior colleagues to maintain the high standards that we’re so proud of.
Does this sound like a role for you? In which case, we’d love you to apply for this role.
Working within the Nuclear Enrichment business, you will be managing a number of client projects, either on behalf of Atkins or even based within the client’s organisation. The role will be versatile and encompass all stages of project delivery, from initial set up, to delivery of the finished project.
Within the Nuclear Enrichment business our clients work in highly regulated nuclear environments and you will be directing your multi-disciplinary teams to deliver complex and unique projects.
Other aspects of the role will include enhancing radiation protection and safety processes and procedures, assisting in the production of bids and proposals, and implementing and contributing to our safety culture, an environment we value so greatly.
You’ll enjoy taking on a range of challenges, some technical, some wider business oriented; all of which help us to run a strong business. You’ll want to work with customers and with teams who deliver to their customers and you’ll be adaptable and happy to cope with uncertainty. As soon as you’re presented with a problem, you are focused on how to resolve it, whatever it might be.
You don’t just tackle these things alone. You enjoy discussing and agreeing how to solve complex issues with your colleagues. And overall, you get satisfaction from building relationships, with clients and with colleagues. You enjoy getting to know people, and working out how you can have a positive impact on them – whether delivering something for a client, or helping to win more work.
In addition to having excellent communication and problem solving skills you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Science or engineering expertise (physics, chemistry, mechanical, chemical or process engineering, Degree qualified or equivalent
- Some radiation protection experience gained in an industrial environment, where you will have seen the output from your efforts; you’ll have an appreciation of radiation protection with particular consideration of radiation shielding, criticality or reactor physics
- Understanding and experience of industry recognised radiation transport codes such as; MCNP, MCBEND, RANKERN, MONK, PANTHER or MicroShield.
- Teamwork and Leadership qualities
- An appreciation of what’s required for design, when working in safety critical industries, like Nuclear
- An appreciation of project and client management
- An understanding of the fundamental factors which contribute to business success
As part of our Energy business, the Nuclear Enrichment team works closely with our clients to deliver a wide range of engineering projects and opportunities, from technical solutions to project management.
Based out of our Warrington offices, this is currently a 70+ strong team and is made up of a multi-disciplinary range of technical skills, including mechanical, electrical, control and instrumentation, process, civils, structural, architectural, project management and safety. This role provides opportunity to work within the office and on client sites.
We are in a unique position of being able to offer full concept through to detail design capability across some fantastic, diverse projects. We are involved in developing innovative, practical solutions for our clients in the North West of England, across the UK and further afield.
Working in this environment will bring out the best of your capabilities. Bringing additional delivery focus to the team, you’ll be managing projects in the nuclear industry from new projects to decommissioning, fuel enrichment and defence.
Training and development
At Atkins we develop our people through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an effective programme of in-house and well as external training for all of our employees.
- This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our Energy sector in the UK. There will be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomed.
- Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
- Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their careers, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate personal requirements.
- Willingness to travel, as necessary, within the UK and abroad
Reward & Benefits
Please refer to our Rewards and Benefits page for details on our full benefits package.