Atkins is seeking talented transport modellers and analysts to join our Rail Planning & Operations practice in Manchester. We are looking to grow the size of the practice to cater for a substantial forward workload on numerous high profile projects. This includes a number of rail franchise projects with public and private sector clients, strategic modelling relating to HS2 and the Northern Powerhouse Rail agenda, and modelling and appraisal of rail schemes ranging from major infrastructure enhancements to smaller scale station investment. We are particularly keen on attracting individuals the experience to play a key role in supporting our senior technical staff and the continued development of our analytical offering.
The role will involve working as part of a team, producing technical analysis and, for larger projects, taking ownership of individual work streams to analyse and appraise the impact of major rail infrastructure schemes and service enhancements. Looking at complex projects from every angle, you will help our customers to find the best solutions to their transport challenges.
This is an exciting time to be part of the rail industry, and our Rail Planning & Operations practice is at the forefront of some of the largest and most exciting developments within it. Join our team and you will be working on major projects that are changing the face of the rail industry for the better.
Atkins is a market-leading infrastructure, engineering and design consultancy that offers great scope for career development. And we’re very agile in the way we work and respond to new challenges. We don’t believe there’s a better place to be right now. There are so many opportunities to upskill, grow your career and move between sectors.
We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled individuals with the following attributes:
• Excellent analytical, numeracy and problem solving skills.
• Demonstrable experience of developing rail operating cost models for scheme appraisal
• Extensive experience of using industry standard software tools including MOIRA to model timetable changes and service enhancements.
• Experience of using EMME and in particular the use of the Department for Transport’s EMME-based PLANET Framework Model for testing strategic rail infrastructure schemes will be of particular value.
• Experience of working on rail franchising projects.
• Experience of working with standard-industry transport guidance (e.g. WebTAG, Treasury Green Book, PDFH).
• An understanding of the principles of spreadsheet modelling best practice (SMBP).
• A track-record of producing high-quality technical analysis, particularly in the rail sector, along with an ability to take ownership of individual workstreams as part of a wider project.
• Client-focused, with a clear understanding of how to produce technical outputs for a range of audiences.
• The ability to work effectively within a team.
• Good organisational and time-management skills to produce personal and team-based outputs within time and budget constraints.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Enthusiasm, energy and flexibility to work across a number of projects within a fast-paced environment.
• A post-graduate qualification in transport planning would be advantageous.
We offer a fantastic environment with fresh, modern offices that buzz with the excitement of people working at the very forefront of our industry. Join us and you’ll be joining a business that places no limits on how far you can progress. You’ll gain experience on a diverse range of industry-leading projects and have the opportunity to inspire and be inspired by colleagues in offices across the UK, and the globe. We offer a competitive rewards and benefits package for the right candidates, including forward-thinking flexible working options to ensure that working with us works for you.
The salary range for this role will be £23,000 to £32,000 and the closing date for applications will be 6th January 2017.