Our Transportation Infrastructure Advisory practice consults on projects all over the world. We look at the feasibility of major projects and transactions across all modes of transport. We advise on systems engineering, safety assurance and financial and vehicle procurement. We blend all kinds of technical skills to produce clear reports, make recommendations and ensure the right schemes get the go-ahead. Together we help move the world forward from advising on UK rail contracts to carrying out rail studies in Norway to advising on the Kuwait metro.
Within this practice we’re looking for a Systems Engineer to help us solve the future challenges in the railway sector. You’ll be joining one of the world’s leading engineering and design consultancies, helping us to support our clients in the rail industry to realise their vision and achieve success from their capital investment programmes delivering railway solutions worldwide.
Your role will be primarily based in Birmingham working as a member of our transportation consultancy, delivering technical services to clients or as an integrated member of our client’s own project teams, helping them to shape their projects and supply chain. Travel to support particular projects within the UK and overseas may be required. You’ll cover a broad range of systems engineering tasks across the full project lifecycle including scoping, design, development and build of the rail infrastructure delivering a holistic systems engineering approach.
Acting as a consultant:
• Engage with stakeholders, including direct clients and otherwise, to ensure that their needs are understood and shaping our services in response.
• Working with industry leading organisations to support technical programme development – including complex thinking, problem definition and thought facilitation.
• Delivering Systems Engineering for major infrastructure projects. Working with both internal and external Customers – including technical scope definition and management, process definition, solution integration, performance analysis and assurance.
• Produce graphical architecture models and requirement and interface specifications.
• Planning and delivering our services, within timescale; optimising cost and delivery of requirements, across a diverse range of projects
• Continuous development of skills and competence to achieve professional qualification.
• Building and maintaining a network of contacts within and outside of Atkins to build our reputation and develop opportunities.
The team is currently working on a number of national and international assignments and your role will be crucial in helping them deliver to our Clients. In addition to this, you will form an integral part of our plans to grow the systems engineering services.
You will be a system oriented thinker with an understanding of key systems engineering activities, and have proven experience of at least one major industry, preferably connected with the railway industry.
An appreciation of the structure and technology of the UK railway industry will be required. You will be a fast learner of domain knowledge and terminology.
You will have excellent communication skills, with an ability to present your work verbally, visually and in written form.
You will have measurable experience the following fields:
• Systems architecture/interface analysis/modelling
• Devises rail control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance
• Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE)
• Requirements engineering (including editing, elicitation, conflict resolution, traceability, hierarchies, verbal analysis)
• Validation and verification (V&V) of large-scale public works (preferably in the UK rail sector, e.g. Network Rail, London Underground, DLR, DfT)
• Safety analysis and assurance
• Behavioural/operational concept/RAMS modelling
• Through life cost modelling
• Provide technical consultations to internal and external stakeholders
• Risk assessment (both technical and project)
• Other system/engineering activities – EMC, HF, configuration control
• Planning, documentation and monitoring of systems engineering activities
• Commercial/project management
In order to allow us to better understand your skills and aspirations, we ask you to include a 1 page covering letter with your application, detailing:
• Your career aspirations
• Why you are interested in the role
• How your skills make you suitable for the role
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
The salary range for this role will be £34,000 to £38,000 and the closing date for applications will be 7th April 2017.