Our Transportation Division is currently seeking a Senior Assistant Bridge Engineer in our Cambridge office to support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary highway and railway projects across the UK. Using your excellent people, technical and delivery skills, you’ll drive a variety of civil and structural designs for new build, renewal, maintenance and assessment works.
You’ll be working as part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Highways England, Local Authorities, TfL, HS2, Network Rail and London Underground, design and build contractors and other niche clients. You’ll also have the opportunity to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
Ideally you’ll have a background in design and delivery of a range of bridges and other structures within either or both the highways and railways environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
• BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent
• Working towards Chartered status with the ICE or IStructE
• A good track record in civil and structural engineering design within either or both heavy rail and highways environments for both large bridge type structures and ancillary structures
• A thorough understanding of relevant DMRB, Network Rail, British and European standards
• Experience of undertaking and supervising visual and intrusive inspection and investigation works using a range of safe systems of work
• Good written standard of English
• Good oral communication abilities
• Strong interpersonal and team working skills
As a Senior Assistant Engineer, you will be responsible for the delivery of design works, including but not limited to:
• Detailed design calculations for structures, bridges and foundations in accordance with British and European Standards, Railway Standards and other relevant design codes (BD, CIRIA etc.)
• Surveys, inspection and appraisal of existing structures and bridges
• Preparation of reports such as feasibility studies, method statements, specifications, approval documents and detailed design documents
• Production of drawings in collaboration with CAD technicians
• Support to senior staff in co-ordination of tenders and projects for clients
You’ll be someone who’s used to rolling up your sleeves up to ensure our teams always deliver great things. Instinctively driven to help, achieve and go beyond to meet client needs. We’d expect you to:-
• Use your excellent analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
• Undertake designs and the production of and review design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
• Stay abreast of industry developments and changes in standards.
• Develop more junior staff, typically apprentices, and you yourself will be working hard towards professional qualification under formal training agreements.
• Be available to travel across the UK and work away from home on occasion; this might include periods overseas of 3 to 6 months.
Connecting countries, cities and communities, our teams work on some of the most challenging projects of our time. Helping people to travel faster and more efficiently, we transform infrastructure. So, get on board and play a big part in our success.
We’ll value you for exceeding expectations and delivering innovative solutions that nobody else can. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards and development opportunities.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.