Atkins Transportation Division is one of the largest transport consultancies in the UK and is a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators, Network Rail, train operating companies, design and build contractors and other clients within the transportation sector.
Our core workload is typically the delivery of multidisciplinary designs ranging from feasibility studies to detailed design, working directly for public sector clients such as Highways England, Network Rail and Local Authorities or increasingly for design and build contractors. Our projects vary from some of the largest multi-disciplinary schemes in the UK to minor design commissions and include all elements of civil and structural engineering including bridge, station and lineside infrastructure schemes.
Our strong and expanding bridge teams throughout the UK undertake the full spectrum of design and asset management commissions, including concept and feasibility design, detailed design, construction, assessment, repair and strengthening design.
We are now looking for an experienced Senior Bridge Engineer to join our team in Stockton-on-Tees or Leeds and lead teams on a wide variety of projects. You will take responsibility for technical delivery and will be expected to contribute to the technical development of the bridges team by disseminating knowledge locally in the north of England and more widely across the Atkins bridge engineering community. In doing so, you will develop your own technical expertise through liaising with our worldwide network of bridge engineers. As part of the role there may be occasional opportunities for working overseas on short to medium term assignments.
• Leading a team to successfully deliver bridge designs, assessments and inspections to a high standard, on time and to budget
• Ensuring compliance with business management systems and project processes including risk management, change control and technical governance
• Preparing or contributing to technical proposal documents and technical specifications
• Liaising with clients, including contractors on D&B and ECI schemes
• Contributing to the technical development of the Atkins bridges team by disseminating knowledge and lessons learned, both locally and globally
• Mentoring and supporting the development of graduates and technicians
• Supporting in business development and winning work.
• Chartered Civil Engineer or Chartered Structural Engineer
• Experience of bridge design, particularly in structural steel and reinforced concrete.
• A proven track record of delivering on time and to budget
• An understanding of clients’ requirements and the ability to work effectively with clients
• An effective team member who actively contributes to technical excellence
• Active in maintaining and developing technical expertise through CPD
• Experience of working to the structural Eurocodes
• Experience of working with other structural materials, such as masonry, timber and structural composites.
• Experience of undertaking and reporting on structural inspections
• Familiarity with asset management processes
• Experience of working on HA and LA projects
• Experience of working on Design & Build (D&B) or Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) projects
• Experience of successfully leading bridge design teams
• Experience in a specialist bridge engineering field, such as post-tensioned concrete
• Flexibility for occasional periods working away from normal office location.
Atkins is a truly global organisation and our strategy means much of our multi-disciplinary work spans various regions around the world. We especially welcome applications from those who are able to travel and spend periods of time abroad.
You must be an effective team player with the desire and ability to lead bridge design and assessment teams. You will need good written and verbal communication skills and be able to exercise judgement in your own work without referring often to more senior staff. You will be highly motivated to deliver against demanding programme and cost targets. You will be able to come up with innovative solutions to technical problems.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.