If you are a pro-active Civil and/or Structural Engineer with exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills, and thrive in dynamic environments, then this could be the ideal opportunity for you.
Working within our Energy business in Warrington, you will take the lead with conception, development and delivery of innovative and practicable design solutions and detailed technical studies for engineering work packages from our growing and diverse portfolio of high integrity industrial projects across the UK and further afield. This is likely to include the nuclear industry (new build, support to operational maintenance and plant life extensions, and decommissioning).
You will cultivate strong working relationships with our clients, develop a comprehensive understanding of their needs, and thereby enable work to progress with confidence and professionalism to an accurately maintained brief. You will work with line managers and discipline lead engineers to secure and manage the resources necessary to deliver projects in accordance with specified Atkins Design Principles.
Other important parts of the role include mentoring and sharing knowledge and best practice techniques with colleagues to continually improve our overall engineering capability, and providing support to our operational management with planning and the pursuit of efficiencies in commercial performance.
We are principally looking for a first class engineer with good inter-personal skills who has the capacity to adapt to different circumstances and maintain sound judgement when under pressure.
Specific requirements include:
• Accredited degree in a related engineering or science based subject
• Chartered Engineer with full membership of The Institution of Civil Engineers and/or The Institution of Structural Engineers, or having achieved substantial progress towards becoming chartered.
• Familiarity and understanding of Health and Safety Regulations.
• Leadership qualities and experience of managing engineering design teams, including responsibilities for planning, preparation of proposals and bids, design team performance and successful production of project deliverables to time, cost and quality.
• Strong technical consultancy experience with demonstrable engineering skills including first principles analysis and the ability to create approximate engineering models when appropriate.
• Detailed knowledge and previous use of UK and international civil and structural engineering design codes and standards (e.g. Eurocodes, BS’s, ACI, etc.).
• Detailed knowledge and experience of the design and assessment of structural steelwork and reinforced concrete structures.
The following qualities would be an advantage:
• Nuclear industry experience.
• Experience of producing nuclear safety case documentation (e.g. ESR’s).
• Understanding of ALARP.
• Previous contributions and presentations to MDDR, SDDR, HAZCON and similar meetings.
• Working knowledge of dynamic loading and finite element analysis.
• Experience of design and assessment of structures for extreme environmental conditions (e.g. seismic, extreme wind, extreme temperature, etc).
• Experience of lifting operations, and structural design and assessment of cranes.
• Ability to design and assess stainless steel, GRP, masonry, and timber structures.
• Experience of different construction methods and techniques, preferably on an operational nuclear licensed site.
• Familiarity with NEC3 contracts.
• Working knowledge of ANSYS, STAAD, TEDDs, ROBOT, MathCAD, AutoCAD and REVIT.
Additional Information and Benefits
• Travel to other Atkins premises and client sites will be necessary. You should be willing to work flexibly and outside of normal working hours to satisfy the requirements of the role.
• Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
• Please refer to the Atkins website for details of our benefits package which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
• Flexible working options may be considered.
• There may be opportunities for international travel.
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2015’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. Our commitment to staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework agreements with key clients.
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in most regions of the world, and in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
Our passion for excellence in civil and structural engineering has earnt an exceptional reputation for delivering specialist, innovative and cost efficient solutions to some of the world’s most technically challenging problems.