Faithful+Gould is an international company with great strength and a culture of progression. Placing great emphasis on the training, development and assessment of our staff, we’re dedicated to providing cutting-edge expertise. Join us and you’ll benefit from a development programme designed to ensure your career objectives are met in full.
We are looking for a senior cost engineer to be based in Whitehaven, Cumbria with experience background in the following sectors, whether in the nuclear, petro-chemical, oil and gas, defence or pharmaceutical to support with projects throughout the Cumbria area.
Key Competencies and Underpinning Knowledge
• Advanced working knowledge of financial systems.
• Understand the inter-relationship between time cost and commercial aspects of the project life cycle.
• Advanced knowledge of Primavera.
• Extensive experience in the use of SAP Finance and Project modules.
• Control, monitor, analyse and report cost related aspects for designated projects within a Portfolio.
• Implement the correct and appropriate cost management tool for the project in accordance with the Client’s Programme Office processes/templates.
• Assist in development of and use of Project Control Structures (CBS, OBS, WBS etc.).
• Understand the basis of the estimate.
• Ensure all cost and contract transactions on a project are understood and managed in an appropriate way.
• Ensure all variances to the cost baseline are communicated in a timely manner.
• Ensure the necessary cost management interface is in place with Finance and ensure regular communications.
• Support the client Planning process.
• Active involvement in the change process, understanding the reasons for and factors influencing each change to the project’s cost baseline plus the implications of such change.
• Continually monitor Project Risk and Change status to maintain current forecast.
• Review and understand, with the assistance of the Planning Engineer, the schedule progress and it’s alignment to the Project Control Structure.
• Liaise with Project team members and contractors with regards to progress and financial forecasting.
• Update the Cost Tool to comply with Project Reporting Cycles.
• Monitor, control and analyse the project cost information, identify variances and bring these to the attention of the Project Manager with possible alternatives. Prepare specific reports to facilitate challenge and analysis to meet the project’s specific needs.
• Challenge cost variances against the baseline plan with individual task leaders/contractors and/or outside stakeholder management as necessary to enable mitigation.
• Contribute to progress meetings as required in support of the Project Manager.
• Regular interfacing and integration with the project Planning Engineer to maintain an aligned financial position with the project Primavera plan.
• Project Documents (PDD, IRM papers etc.) – Contribute to the drafting and updating of these documents to ensure that they contains the project Scope of Work, KPI’s, payment milestones and the methodology for controlling the project schedule, costs and variances etc.
• Contribute to lessons learnt process at project close out.
• Minimum of HNC/HND ideally in a cost related discipline or relevant experience.
• Experience within a senior cost engineering position
• Breadth of experience across whole project and programme lifecycle. (e.g. Engineering, Procurement, Construction, Installation/Commissioning processes).
• Working knowledge of relevant Health and Safety legislation.
• Relevant experience in Project Controls and/or Project Delivery, preferably in a highly regulated environment.
• Evidence of strong engineering background, ideally within a safety/regulated environment.
• High level of numeracy and excellent analytical skills.
• Excellent MS Office skills and well versed in the preparation of reports and information using packages such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Exhibits a strong awareness of the level of interaction required with the project team function to support the successful delivery of projects.
• The ability to reconcile cost information as it applies to the programmes of work.
• Proficient in the use of estimating, scheduling, programming and risk tools.
• Proficient in the use of Earned Value Analysis.
• Self motivated with good interpersonal skills working in a team environment.
• Good attention to detail with good time management skills.
• Excellent communication and presentational skills.
• Able to use initiative.
• Ability to work flexibly within the demands of the project.
Security – Please note: Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment maybe subject to security clearance being granted
Rewards and benefits
Faithful+Gould offer a comprehensive reward package including:
• 25 days annual leave per annum plus 8 days paid bank holidays per annum (pro-rata for part time staff or for part years worked)
• Employees in service at 1st April each year can buy up to 15 days or sell up to 5 days holiday
• Attractive pension scheme
• Employee Well Being Programme (EWP)
• Share incentive plan
• Life assurance scheme
• Professional membership fees paid
• Income Protection
• Personal accident cover
• Discretionary bonus scheme
• Give as you earn scheme
• Health Club Membership & Leisure Discounts
• Discounted BUPA healthcare scheme
• Childcare vouchers
• IT related discounts
• Mobile phone discounts