The Senior Design Manager leads, engages, directs, monitors, coordinates and manages the project and the team. And schedules, organizes, coordinates and ensures the required quality of the production design, and stakeholders work on projects of all scales.
Through all stages from Concept, Schematic, Detail, Authorities Submission, Tendering and Construction Documentation the Senior Design Manager provides technical management, leadership and coordination of multi Discipline design delivery teams and acts as a primary interface to the Middle East Property Group (MEPG) Principal on matters of coordination and implementation of project specific requirements.
Line of Reporting
Works under the direct supervision of a (MEPG) Associate Director or Principal Architect.
- Responsible of the multi-disciplinary coordination of the overall Project production and deliverables of a fully coordinated project documentations including project Specialist and Sub-Consultants packages.
- Responsible of the production of all Design packages of all stages, post Concept Design Stage (All Project Documentation, including Specifications, Cut sheets & Schedules) in line with the Contractual obligations / Scope of Work and related deliverables.
- Multi-Disciplinary Design review and project coordination (Including Specialist and Sub-Consultants)
- Oversight for production all project documentation, including Specifications, Cut sheets & Schedules Etc.
- Organizes and manages the design team and resources
- Produces Plant to deliver Model Information (TIDP).
- Ensures team capacity and capability.
- Directs delivery in line with SMPs, Processes, Templates and Libraries.
- Assures information management & exchange via the CDE process.
- Removes blockers to collaboration (internally & cross supply chain).
- Chairs regular internal delivery team meetings.
- Maintains GDC Cost Tracker/Risk Register
- Maintains QA Tracker
- Prepares initial Architecture Team leave schedule.
- Maintains RFI Tracker
- Prepares and maintains Detailed Delivery Programme
- Prepares and maintains Drawing Transmittal Register
- Prepare and issue Change Control where deemed appropriate.
- Ensure design is in compliance with relevant codes, standards, regulations and requirements of local authority having jurisdiction.
- Review Revit model - online Modeling / Revit & CAD Production (Entire Design Stage and Design Integration stage)
- Team Leadership - providing motivation, coaching and mentoring.
- Resource Planning, resourcing monitoring and reporting (Project Status)
- Performance and Project Evaluation.
- Design Management.
- Design Coordination. (All Disipline)
- Facilitate the interface with Statutory Authorities (ATK)
- Design Research.
- Design reviews & quality assurance (Compliance reviews with Atkins procedures)
- Site back-up - Post Contract, Tender & Site clarifications – Integration.
- Project Monitoring - Quality and Spend to date / Forecast.
- Facilitate and drive the Project Monthly report (Support from Assistance PM)
- Update project design program & spend to date / forecast.
- Main (day to day) point of contact and project coordination.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the entire design team throughout the design stages (Post Concept Design Stage)
- Act as the Project Stakeholders point of contact for design related issues.
- Act as the project’s design coordinator and contributes (fully or partially) to the overall design management activities.
- Responsible for the project and architectural resource planning for the project and report project needs to senior team members. (Including coordination of pipeline works)
- Conduct Project, Unit and Team Performance evaluation reviews to junior team members.
- Carry-out independent design reviews for all types of projects. (All disciplines, with support from MEP, Structural Team leads)
- Take responsibility for coaching, mentoring and development of team members.
- Monitor and Facilitate initiatives to develop design manuals, standard design documents, presentations, etc. to increase efficiencies, knowledge and awareness across the wider architectural community.
Qualities and Skills required
- Developed architectural Management & design skills.
- Extensive project experience. (min 10 years)
- Developed leadership skills. (Bridge Builder – Team player – Decision maker - Proactive)
- Ability to make critical decisions. (In coordination with Senior Design manager / Associate Director)
- Flexibility and attitude towards company objectives.
- Cordial relationships with project stakeholders.
- Full understanding of Atkins’ commercial management of projects.
- Understanding of risk management.
- Developed understanding of scope definition and scope interface.
- Detailed knowledge of Atkins’ standards, policies, codes and procedures and ability to transmit the same to others.
- Full knowledge of Statutory Authorities requirements, knowledge of codes, regulations and submission requirements.
- Developed knowledge of Fire & Life Safety Principles. (Wide experience in all authority matters, Codes and standards)
- Developed knowledge of Sustainable Design principles. (Estidama, Leed, Greenbuilding Etc.)
- Ability and will to mentor and provide support to junior staff members and spread knowledge across the wider architectural community.
- Ability and will to update knowledge.
- Excellent command of English (written and spoken). Knowledge of other languages is an added value.
Qualities and Skills preferred
- Completion of five or six-year architectural degree program.
- B.Arch or B.Sc in Architecture.
- Minimum 15 years post graduate experience.
- Revit Professional skilled (Achieve Atkins, Revit Skilled assessment score preferable above 80%)
- Society of Engineers/Architectural membership.
- International Accreditation (RIBA, AIA or equivalent).
- Sustainability Certification (LEED, PQP or equivalent).
- Project Management certification (PMP, IPMA, PMI or equivalent).