People are the heartbeat of our business. Our status as a world leading engineering and design consultancy is reflected in the quality of life our people enjoy. The modern, flexible approach we take means ambitions, both at home and at work, can be fully realised.
Our Energy business has been operating for over four decades and the pace of change has never been greater than it is now. These are critical times in how the world generates and uses Energy. There is a critical need to reduce carbon emissions to avoid damaging climate change. However, this needs to be balanced against the requirement to provide electricity and heat at affordable cost. Further pressure is created by the increasing demand from developing nations and our responsibility as a society to provide access to electricity to as many of the world’s population as possible.
Atkins recognises these issues and accepts our responsibility as a leading engineering design company to drive solutions and deliver cleaner, safer, sustainable energy to industrial users and residential customers across the globe. Whether this be development of tidal barrage schemes in the UK, leading the way in floating offshore wind or developing solar generation plant in Africa, we are determined to lead the way in creating sustainable energy solutions.
We are looking for a self-starting, driven individual to join our Decentralised Energy team. The role will be focussed around feasibility assessment, design delivery and technical quality assurance of decentralised energy projects, but responsibilities will include contributing to the lifecycle of consultancy, including bidding and project execution.
Suitable candidates will possess the following qualifications, attributes and experience:
- Chartered Mechanical or Building Services Engineer (CEng) (or suitable evidence of working towards chartered status)
- Ability to lead and undertake Mechanical and Building Services design, review and construction supervision across a range of decentralised energy projects
- Demonstrable experience in the Renewables sector with a good knowledge of key technologies e.g. CHP, biomass, heat pumps
- Experience in the design and delivery of district heating projects would be beneficial
- Experience of designing and specifying control systems (e.g. BEMS/ SCADA) would be beneficial
- Ability to run and manage projects, including financial performance
- Strong Quality, Safety, Environment (QSE) focus, with demonstrable track record of implementing these standards
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Entrepreneurial attitude and willingness to challenge normal practice
- Capable and confident of leading, building and maintaining strong business relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Positive outlook and approachable manner
- Drive and ambition to help us create a market leading business in this sector
Some work outside normal office hours may be necessary. Travel to and from client sites and/or temporary secondment to client’s offices may also be required.
This is an exciting time for Atkins; we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, whilst also continuing to grow our Energy sector in the UK. There will be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomed.
Atkins recognises that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in engineering, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our Rewards and Benefits page for details on our full benefits package.