Our Transportation Division is currently seeking Engineers / Senior Engineers in our Bristol office to support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary civil engineering projects in both the highway, rail and energy markets across the UK. You’ll be part of a team driving the successful delivery of projects for a variety of new build, renewal, maintenance and assessment works.
Ideally, you will have a background in civil engineering design and delivery of multi-disciplinary projects principally within either the highways or railway environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
You’ll be working as part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Highways England, Local Authorities, Network Rail, London Underground, HS2, NNB GenCo, Design & Build Contractors and other niche clients.
The role will be based in our Bristol office with the flexibility to work out of other Atkins and Client offices as work demands. Our business also brings opportunities to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
• Leading / supporting Project Managers on technical aspects of design delivery of civil engineering projects from scheme initiation through to completion.
• Using your analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
• Managing / using appropriate software packages to deliver technically robust designs.
• Overseeing completion of designs and the production, checking and review of design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
• Staying abreast of industry developments and application of standards.
• Mentoring and supporting team members and taking responsibility for the technical development of staff.
• Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client focused manner.
• Maintaining and developing excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business.
• Assisting with the bidding for new work including fee estimates, delivery programmes and input to quality submissions.
• Financial, programme and quality management of projects to both internal and client reporting requirements.
• Assisting with / preparing fee offers for agreement with the client.
• Assigning work to and checking / reviewing the project team’s work.
• Maintaining a resource programme
• Working collaboratively with other disciplines.
• Incorporated or Chartered Engineer (or proven ability to work at the level expected of an experienced Incorporated Engineer)
• Foundation Degree or HND in Civil Engineering
• Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Local Authorities, Highways England, Network Rail, Developers and/or major Contractors and knowledge of Project Governance and Development Processes in the work sector.
• Proven ability to advise clients on technical matters
• Good project management skills, commercial awareness, financial control and ability to deliver across a range of contract types. This will include an ability to manage stakeholders, e.g. specialist suppliers, independent checkers and local authorities.
• Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverable, delivering within set time frame.
• Good understanding of relevant design standards in chosen field.
• Ability to research information and data independently and ability to find solutions to complex problems.
• Knowledge and understanding of the component parts of a project with a track record of successfully delivering technically robust projects of varying values
• Proven ability to lead, coach and develop team members including planning, monitoring and control
• Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
• Excellent spoken and written English.
• A willingness to work flexibly from other office locations
• BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
• Chartered status and corporate membership of the ICE, CIHT or IStructE.
• Commercially astute and an excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra management responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
• Awareness of business models adopted in the sector and commercial and technical risks.
• Experience of client engagement and business development activities.
• Knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation.
o Well-developed interpersonal skills
o Innovative in bringing high quality technical solutions to engineering problems
o Good communicator
o Good organisational and prioritisation skills
o Ability to focus and deliver whilst working to short time scales and budget constraints
o Positive and practical with experience of managing resources, mentoring engineers and inspiring multidisciplinary teams to exceed client expectations.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.