Atkins is looking for a Senior Environmental Consultant, with experience in the coordination and delivery of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) studies, environmental inputs to master planning and of the preparation and implementation of construction related environmental management plans (including site monitoring and auditing), to be based in Doha. The successful candidate’s work is expected to focus on urban improvement, infrastructure and related projects in Qatar and support to the provision of environmental services in other countries in the region. The candidate will also be expected to support bids and business development and to act as a link to facilitate the inputs of Atkins’ environmental personnel from outside the region, especially the U.K.
Atkins has been established in the Gulf for over 40 years, having first carried out design and supervision commissions in the Gulf area in 1967. The regional head office (Dubai) was established in 1979.
We provide a full range of design, engineering and project management services for buildings, transportation and other infrastructure programmes. In addition Atkins Energy undertakes work in the Power, Nuclear and Oil and Gas sectors and Atkins Acuity offers a range of advisory services, drawing on technical skills from other parts of Atkins. Staff from Atkins’ environmental and water practices outside the region also provide specialist services to EIA and masterplanning in the region by means of short-term visits and secondments and home-office based inputs.
Atkins and F&G in the Middle East now employ around 2,250 staff serving Gulf clients across all market sectors from offices and site offices in Bahrain (Manama), Kuwait City, Oman (Muscat), Qatar (Doha; over 350 staff), Saudi Arabia (Al Khobar, Jeddah, Riyadh) and the UAE (in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Dubai, Sharjah; over 1,500 staff). A particular market focus is for Clients and projects in Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
- Degree qualified in a relevant field
- Master’s degree in EIA or Environmental Science will be an advantage
- Proven experience in the management of the EIA process and understanding of its application to infrastructure projects.
- Good working knowledge of EIA legislation (Middle East would be advantageous).
- Personal commitment to environmental protection and sustainable development.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Ability and willingness to work independently or as part of a team.
- International (especially Middle East) experience
- Membership of Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) would be advantageous.
- Along with strong general EIA coordination skills, a specialism in sustainability, air quality, noise, or contamination/geo-environmental science would be considered advantageous.
- Construction site experience is important.
- The role will be varied and will require project management, client and stakeholder liaison, co-ordination with design and site teams and technical inputs to EIAs.
- The candidate will also be expected to carry out associated environmental investigations and reporting, including contributions to design and contract documentation.
- The role will cover projects from conception through to delivery on site so there is likely to be a requirement to oversee/monitor the work of contractors and undertake environmental inspections and audits at construction sites or to manage others undertaking these tasks. The priorities of this role include:
- Coordination and preparation of environmental assessments and feasibility studies in support of the delivery of major infrastructure.
- Developing environmental procedures and technical guidance to improve EIA and environmental management processes in Qatar.
- Working in collaboration with stakeholders.
- Meeting client and stakeholder requirements while facilitating project delivery.
- Providing a focal point for the Atkins infrastructure and property delivery teams for environmental mitigation, enhancements and to promote sustainability.
- Environmental audit of construction sites to ensure compliance with environmental management plans.
- Liaison with environmental, planning, urban design and landscape teams in the U.K. and in other Middle East offices (especially the UAE) and assistance with the delivery ofassignments in those countries as required.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer an excellent package which includes:
- A competitive salary
- Accommodation allowance;
- Transportation allowance;
- 22 calendar days annual leave (based on 5 day working week)/ 26 calendar days annual leave (based on 6 day working week)
- Medical and life insurance cover;
- Company gratuity scheme;
- Discretionary bonus scheme;
- Flight allowance to point of origin
- Employee Well-Being Programme – 24 hour free advice on financial, legal and family care specialists and also access to personal health, fitness and nutrition consultants
Candidates will be screened against the above criteria, successful candidates will be contacted accordingly.