The Contaminated Land and Hydrogeology (CLAH) Practice within Atkins’ Infrastructure business is looking to appoint an experienced Senior Environmental Consultant, with strong technical, people and project management skills to join our growing northern team based in either in Leeds or Newcastle.
Atkins is one of the world’s leading engineering and design consultancies; we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects. The CLAH Practice within Atkins is a well-established, multi-disciplinary, environmental and engineering practice with an extensive portfolio of regeneration and infrastructure development projects. Our technical expertise and highly skilled team has been recently recognised at the Brownfield Briefing Awards (2016), winning awards for Best Project Closure/Verification Process, Best Public Participation, Best Urban Regeneration Project and Best Young Brownfield Professional, plus highly commended within the Best Brownfield Infrastructure Project category.
We have considerable brownfield land regeneration experience working with developer clients, and have a portfolio of projects working with private and public sector clients in the investigation, assessment, remediation and redevelopment of brownfield land, and the contaminant and engineering hydrogeology of major infrastructure. We are seeing excellent potential for growth in our CLAH business across the UK.
The successful candidate will need to be committed to having technical excellence, consistency in delivery, knowledge sharing and innovation at the heart of the practice.
We are looking for a highly motivated, experienced and adaptable individual with excellent interpersonal, technical, project management and client management skills; expertise in contaminated land, hydrogeology and brownfield land regeneration; a proven track record of successful client and regulatory engagement; and capable of delivering the high standard of geo-environmental consultancy services for which Atkins is renowned.
- Project Management and the technical delivery of a wide variety of projects ensuring delivery on time, within budget and to a high standard.
- Providing technical guidance, constructive support and mentoring to junior staff and supporting their technical development.
- Liaison with clients, stakeholders, regulators, sub-contractors and other internal disciplines.
- Business develop skills to support senior management in developing new business and the preparation of commercial offers and maintain and expand the current client base.
- Working with the local and wider Atkins’ team across the UK.
- Continue to develop own competence and maintain CPD with support from the business.
- MEng, MSc, BEng (Hons), or BSc (Hons) in a relevant science or engineering subject (e.g. geology, geotechnics, hydrogeology, chemistry, environmental science).
- Demonstrate a proven track record in contaminated land with knowledge and experience in Phase 1 Desk Studies, Phase 2 Site Investigations, options appraisals, and remediation design, supervision and verification / validation for a range of different types of projects and clients.
- Demonstrate a proven track record of project management of contaminated land and brownfield projects including managing project teams resulting in delivery to high standards.
- Chartered (or actively working towards chartership) with either GeolSoc, ICE or CIWEM. If not chartered, we would expect the candidate, with our support, to become chartered 6 to 12 months after joining.
- Good working knowledge and demonstrable understanding of the relevant legislation, technical guidance and industry standards and best practice for contaminated land and waste.
- Be able to mentor junior staff and technically check their work, and also to complete peer reviews of other consultants work.
- Commercial awareness and understanding including being able to complete tenders.
- Full UK driving licence.
- Experience working on gasworks, coal gasification, tar works and/or electricity substation sites.
- Experience working under NEC3 contracts or similar.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.