This is an exciting opportunity to be part of managing and improving one of the busiest motorways in Europe, the M25, its key arterial link roads serving central London and surrounding area, and the A282 (Dartford Crossing).
Balfour Beatty are part of a consortium including Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK – creating Connect Plus Services, a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways asset care from finance, through to design, build, maintenance as well as day to day operation.
As part of our 30-year remit to manage and improve the capital’s orbital motorway network, we deliver major improvement projects, such widening 38 miles of the M25, refurbishing tunnels and bridges, and installing hundreds of variable messaging signs and gantries, helping to maximise the use of the network and deliver more reliable journeys. We also manage the Dartford River crossing, and operate and maintain 440 kilometres of motorway providing our customer and road user with a world-class highway service.
Provide cost effective design solutions to maintain or improve the road assets to the standards agreed and considering the needs of key stakeholders. Deliver the outcomes agreed by Highways England and Connect Plus DBFO Co. to programme and budget.
Other responsibilities include:
· Manage resources within highways and other design or support disciplines to deliver the agreed outcomes
· Manage external resources to deliver the agreed outcomes
· Agree the briefs, programmes and budgets with the Design Manager/Project Manager or client
· Allocate tasks to other design disciplines and monitor progress and costs
· Prepare briefs, works instructions, designs, fee estimates, reports, specifications and other deliverables for highways schemes to budget and programme
· Monitor and check designs and ensure they meet the brief
· Ensure designs are appropriate and meet the expected levels of quality
· Seek innovation in the delivery of schemes and techniques used in design and construction
· Ensure IMS 14001 is actively applied to all designs
· Deliver large complex highway schemes (or several smaller schemes) to programme and budget
· Deliver less complex schemes and provide highways advice to programme and budget
· Allocate tasks to other supporting members of the Highways team and oversee delivery and report on resourcing issues
· Provide professional and technical competence and mentoring in highway engineering
· Report on a bi-weekly basis to the Design Manager on performance against budget and programme
· Identify schemes that need to be included in the Four Year Programme
· Assist the Network Strategy Manager in the proposals process