We have seen unprecedented levels of government investment in our transport infrastructure in recent years resulting in an impressive programme of major highway improvement schemes across the UK. Atkins is at the forefront of delivering these and other major projects to our UK clients and to support us in the planning and design of this major programme of work, we are currently seeking Engineers and Senior Engineers to join our Transportation business in our Civil Engineering Practice in the South East where you would draw on your excellent people, technical and analytical skills to help Atkins deliver this exciting portfolio of projects.
You’ll be working as part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK; a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Highways England, TfL, HS2, Network Rail, London Underground, design and build contractors and other niche clients. You will also have the opportunity to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
You will have a background in civil engineering design and delivery of a range of multi-disciplinary projects, primarily within a highways environment. You will maintain a strong focus on safety and be a natural collaborator, familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams, on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility through to detailed design and construction, maintaining a continuous quest to add value and bring about efficiency savings delivering benefits to our clients and to Atkins.
• Leading technical delivery of civil engineering projects / civil engineering input into multi-disciplinary projects.
• Deriving potential solutions by using your excellent analytical skills to solve engineering problems and applying engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
• Overseeing designs and the production of and review of design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
• Staying abreast of industry developments and changes in standards.
• Developing more junior staff by technical training and mentoring.
• Maintaining and developing excellent professional relationships with Clients, which can secure repeat business.
• Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client focused manner.
• Assisting with / preparing fee offers for agreement with the client.
• Assigning work to and checking / reviewing the project team’s work.
• Working collaboratively across the Atkins Group.
• BEng / BSc / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
• Incorporated or Chartered status and corporate membership of the ICE or equivalent
• Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Local Authorities, Highways England, Developers and/or major Contractors.
• Understanding of the DMRB and BIM and their use in design.
• Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverable, delivering within set time frame.
• Commercial awareness and an excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra management responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
• Knowledge of project governance and processes for Highways England and Local Authorities.
• Ability to research information and data independently and ability to find solutions to complex problems.
• Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
• Excellent spoken and written English.
• Awareness of business models adopted in the sector and commercial and technical risks.
• Experience of client engagement and business development activities.
• Positive and practical with experience of managing resources, mentoring engineers and inspiring multidisciplinary teams to exceed client expectations.
• Knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation.
• Ability to contribute to bids and tenders
• Prince2 Practitioner and/or APM qualified, Level C or above
• Experience of project scheduling using Primavera or Microsoft Project
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
We encourage career progression and there is the opportunity to further develop your career. We would expect to work with you in developing your career aspirations through staff appraisal, offering a range of opportunities and appropriate training designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents.