Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and one of the world's largest design firm with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
At Atkins, we offer our employees more than just a job; we offer an opportunity to shape the world for generations to come through innovative and sound design. As the official engineer of the 2012 London Olympics, few companies can rival the size and diversity of our projects. Whether it’s the concept for a new skyscraper, the upgrade of a rail network, the modeling of a flood defense system or the improvement of a management process, we plan, design and enable solutions.
Atkins seeks an energetic, highly motivated, detail-oriented, self-starter to join either our Austin, TX offices as a Senior ITS Manager to manage staff in Austin, TX and other nearby regional offices. This professional will supervise the staff and work production of a technical work unit. Provides leadership, direction and technical guidance to staff to ensure that quality technical services are provided to clients and that the technical work unit meets its operating performance targets. Manages project production, project acquisition/client relations, and financial management of the work unit to ensure quality, client satisfaction, continued production backlog, and profitability of all projects within the work unit. Typically responsible for annual revenues over $2M and over 15 staff.
Oversees the Staffing Resources required for a Region or Group within the ITS/Traffic Consulting Technical Practice within the Consulting Services Practice housed in the Technical Professional Organization (TPO) which includes:
- Coordinating the allocation of personnel (typically 25-35) to staff projects and pursuits.
- Supports the Technical Director in creating plans to develop and grow centers of excellence within the technical practices.
- Works with the Technical Director, Practice Director and TPO Director to identify staffing needs and engages HR support to assist in the recruitment and selection of additional staff.
- Coordinates with other TPO Technical Managers, Technical Directors and TPO Practice Directors and on cross functional team needs and resource sharing.
- Helps communicate and coordinate requests for skilled staff.
- Coordinates with BU Sector and Division Managers as needed on ITS/Traffic business execution.
- Provides staffing analysis and reporting for productivity, availability and capabilities or skills.
- Provides direction on employee development activities.
- Provides direction on shared goals throughout the technical discipline.
Responsible for driving a culture of consulting excellence throughout the Region or Group by:
- Providing opportunities for growth and development of technical staff and
- Ensuring sound quality control and safety procedures are employed by all staff.
- Ensures compliance to company policy, process, and quality control and safety procedures as directed by the Practice director.
- With the Technical Director, other Technical Managers, BU Sector Managers and Project Managers, identifies current and future staffing requirements and matches those requirements with current staff skills and the availability of staff.
- The recommendations made for each project are based on the technical and budgetary requirements of the projects.
- Assists in identifying and recruiting top talent from industry in alignment with strategic growth objectives and project needs.
- Provides recommendations for salary offers for new hire candidates as well as salary and position adjustment actions for staff, per the Authorization Matrix.
- Recommends personnel actions for direct reports.
- Conducts semi-annual performance reviews and annual career planning sessions with direct reports.
- In conjunction and coordination with Program Managers & Project Managers, provides staff with ongoing performance feedback and counsel to promote continuous improvement and career development.
- Encourages development of comprehensive consulting skills, guiding individuals towards career paths leveraging their knowledge/skills/abilities for technical delivery, project management, operations, and sales/business development.
- Ensures staff compliance with company policies and procedures.
Project Production and Management
- Maintain proper communication and coordination with Program and Project Management to ensure that services provided meet expectations and to ensure that proper quality control is in place.
- Ensure proper staffing - Ensure appropriate staff allocation to projects in consideration of required skills, budgets, and work products.
- Resolve Problems - Assists staff in resolving problems concerning work with the various projects.
- Monitor Quality Control - Monitors compliance with established quality control standards.
- Project Management Excellence – Monitors compliance with PME procedures.
Marketing and Client Maintenance
- Marketing - In collaboration with the sales directors and Business Units, participates in pursuing new project opportunities for Atkins by maintaining contacts with current and prospective clients, both external and internal.
- Identifies ITS/Traffic resources needed for project pursuit activities in collaboration with pursuit managers.
- Assists in developing project proposals and participating with interview team preparations where appropriate.
- Participates in project interviews as needed. Enforces TPO compliance with marketing and business development institute best practices for project capture, and enforces TPO staff pursuit readiness actions such as CV updates, professional registrations, certifications or other TPO staff actions identified by pursuit managers.
- Client Maintenance – Monitors services provided in conjunction with Project Managers toward the resolution of client issues.
Contracts and Financial
- Assists the Business Unit in contract negotiations and pricing as needed.
- Develops and recommends budgets for approval by Technical Director, Practice Director and TPO director, including appropriate costs for industry involvement and client maintenance.
- Approves purchase requests for capital items as specified in the Authorization Matrix.
- As an industry recognized ITS/Traffic leader, maintains visibility and professional currency by actively participating in professional and civic organizations and encourages staff to do the same.
- Works with Technical Director and other senior leadership to encourage technical staff to focus on building consulting excellence at all levels of the organization.
- Identifies key professional organizations and events where staff visibility and demonstration of technical excellence supports ITS/Traffic business growth strategy, and matches ITS/Traffic staff with these opportunities.
- P.E. license is required.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience, with at least three (3) in positions with project management or supervisory responsibilities.
- Willing to engage with Business Unit and Technical Professional Organization leadership to assist with growing company presence in the region.
- Extensive project management experience.
- Excellent technical and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to manage large scope operations and provide leadership to multiple levels of management.
- Must have comprehensive knowledge , excellent communication skills, and be able to represent the firm effectively to staff, clients, and the community in general.
- Promote high performance and consistent accountability at all levels within the TPO.
- Bachelor's degree in field of practice. Post graduate degree referred. Management coursework and/or MBA a plus.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Atkins is a drug free workplace.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement.