Our Defence safety business is growing. We have a range of challenging projects requiring maritime safety input and are looking for a maritime safety expert to join our small, dynamic Defence maritime safety team. As safety engineering professionals, we are passionate about what we do, developing solutions to challenging problems, supporting our clients, each other, and our own personal growth and development. If you want to work with like-minded professional people the Safety & Supportability Team is keen to speak to you.
Based at Atkins' offices in Bristol, projects are also likely to involve working on client sites in the locality of our offices, but with some travel requiring overnight stays.
Atkins is one of the world’s leading design, engineering and project management consultancies; it is the UK's 3rd largest engineering consultancy. As such, we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical projects. We currently have 8,810 staff in the UK with an annual turnover of £922.0m (as at 31 March 2014). Atkins is a FTSE 250 Plc.
Our Defence business is a technical consultancy, and we provide advice and engineering expertise to public, regulated and private sector clients. The multidisciplinary nature of our work allows us to draw on expertise from across Atkins to deliver complex projects both in the UK and in support of our other businesses overseas.
Our projects cover a wide range of Defence engineering domains, including:
- Safety and supportability, human factors and training
- Programme and project management
- Systems engineering
- Mechanical and electrical engineering
- Software development
- Specialised infrastructure planning, design and refurbishment
- Software development
- Information / communication systems
The work is always challenging and evolving, but if you’re ready to take on a challenge, and assume technical, commercial and project responsibility to your full potential, then Atkins is a great place to further your career in engineering.
You will work on a range of client facing projects, large and small, but will also be expected to contribute to winning new business and managing delivery. To be successful in this role you need to have the ability to work on multiple projects and with many stakeholders concurrently. Your key responsibilities will encompass the following:
- Providing independent safety advice or auditing safety management processes and arrangements on behalf of customers;
- Leading or contributing to teams delivering solutions – this will include managing stakeholders and inspiring team members to perform to the best of their ability;
- Building sustainable relationships with customers, seeking out future business opportunities and managing these through to new work;
- Preparing detailed technical reports and presenting the findings of safety analyses to both internal and external customers;
- Providing thought leadership on how best the MOD takes forward safety in an environment where systems are increasingly more complex and where interfaces and systems vary depending on the operational requirement;
- Providing technical governance on delivery projects;
- Enabling and encouraging team members to learn and develop their expertise;
- Seeking out and acting upon opportunities for continuous improvement; and
- Contributing to strategic discussions and taking on a leadership role in shaping the future of the Defence maritime business.
- BEng or BSc (Hons) in an engineering/technical discipline or equivalent engineering experience
- Candidates with HND/HNC in an engineering/technical discipline or similar qualifications and considerable relevant experience will be considered
- Demonstrable experience of:
- Working within the Defence maritime sector
- The application of Def Stan 00-56, ASEMS, JSP430
- Safety assessment techniques
- Developing and implementing safety management systems
- Technical report writing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, you'll be comfortable presenting to senior customers
- Able to deal effectively with ambiguity and multiple problems whilst working to tight timescales
- Experience of auditing safety management systems and safety documentation
- Excellent team working skills, you embrace the diversity of people and their viewpoints and capitalise on your people skills in your work.
- Chartered Engineer or working towards chartered status
- Masters level qualification in safety engineering
- Membership of engineering institution
- Demonstrable external peer recognition of your expertise in maritime safety
- Operational experience in the maritime or submarine sector
- Auditing qualifications
- A flexible approach to work location and a willingness to undertake secondments to other sites.
You will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
Rewards & Benefits
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year.