Atkins is the largest engineering and design consultancy in the UK, the largest multidisciplinary consultancy in Europe and one of the largest design firms in the world.Responsibilities
To support the continued growth of our Infrastructure Business, our Glasgow Office is seeking to recruit a Senior Mechanical Engineer with a proven track record of delivering mechanical designs across a wide range of sectors. Operating within both public and private sectors our Infrastructure business provides electrical engineering expertise on projects that range from refurbishment to new build, and single to multidisciplinary. Our team of Building Services Engineers, Structural Engineers and Architects work together to provide a comprehensive multidisciplinary design service to those clients.
As a Senior Mechancial Engineer you will take a lead role in producing mechanical designs including the management and mentoring of junior engineers. The structure of the business means that you could be working on both local and global engineering projects and as such it is a prerequisite of the position that you may be seconded to other Atkins or client offices on short term secondment.
The role will offer a challenging and rewarding opportunity to apply knowledge, experience and problem solving skills and contribute to the development of the Atkins Infrastructure regional business.
- Produce Mechanical building services engineering designs from concept design through to construction issue and site supervision
- Supervise work and design quality of subordinate engineers.
- Execute projects within defined design, programme and cost parameters
- Carrying out designs on a variety of buildings within different sectors i.e. schools, healthcare, offices, leisure facilities, Government buildings, industrial etc
- Prepare technical specifications, reports and drawings.
- Represent Atkins at meetings with clients and contractors.
- Site surveys and inspections where appropriate.
- Promote and incorporate sustainable design wherever possible.
- Conduct design quality reviews/audits as required.
- Maintaining records and archives to company standards
- Manage own workload and that of junior staff.
- Assist with processes for the development of staff in order to enhance the standards, expertise and reputation of Atkins.
- Promote and improve inter-discipline working with other disciplines such as Architecture, Civil and Structural.
- Monitor emerging legislation and engineering standards relating to mechanical building services and ensure their implementation.
- Input to the design change control process and estimate cost and /or time implications where so delegated.
- Cooperate with quality, safety and environmental objectives and contribute to the Atkins Property & Design commitment for continual improvement.
- Assist in the production of fee estimates and bids.
- Mechanical Building Services degree qualified with CEng (or working towards)
- Similar experience working in a design consultancy, with experience of concept, scheme and detail design across a range of sectors.
- Good level of computer literacy, including being fully conversant with AutoCAD, IES Virtual Environment and NES/NBS specification software
- An understanding of Revit and BIM is beneficial
- A good understanding of quality assurance, safety and environmental sustainability
- Able to make decisions, act on own initiative and operate in a pro-active way
- A degree of financial awareness and the ability to develop this skill further is required
- Excellent report writing skills, experience of making presentations and attending meetings with clients is essential.
- Organise and prioritise their own time and tasks to enable the simultaneous running of several projects
- Be able to logically analyse problems from first principles to determine solutions. Possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal, and be able to understand and express technical concepts clearly and accurately.
- A good understanding of sustainability issues including passive design and low and zero carbon technologies.