We are seeking an Engineer who thrives on making a strong personal contribution and who is enthusiastic to help make the organisation a little better every day. You will want to deliver – for the client, for the business and for yourself.
We need a personable mechanical engineer who wants to solve and deliver design solutions to our clients. We have operations based in the UK, Europe, the Middle East and North America, and are fully engaged on the development of all aspect of engineering in the energy sector. With opportunities in key regions around the world, Atkins can provide an exciting career.
We seek an experienced mechanical engineer who loves to deliver on complex solo or multiple projects simultaneously to the highest quality. You’ll enjoy working closely with major clients on a range of demanding issues whilst mentoring and training more junior colleagues to preserve the high standards that we’re proud of. You will provide technical guidance and impart knowledge to other engineers within the team and mentor graduates for them to attain the professional status of CEng with the IMechE. You’ll enjoy working with others, sometimes directly at client sites, sometimes from our offices, and always seeking to be forward thinking and going the extra mile to help us maintain our excellent performance. You will be delivering robust solutions that will meet the Client’s functional and UK HSE and nuclear safety case requirements.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we’d love you to apply for this role.
Working within our Energy UK team you will be part of a team of mechanical engineering professionals with many years of experience preferably in the nuclear or the chemical industry. The role will entail providing the necessary design justification to ensure design solutions are compliant with safety and regulatory requirements. You will develop integrated design solutions to satisfy Client technical specifications and assess engineering designs performed by others for their relevance and adequacy of engineering substantiation.
You may be required to present your designs to single or multiple discipline design reviews and safety reviews. You will be familiar with producing risk assessments, including conventional safety, hazard and operability (HazOp) studies, and environmental assessments (ALARP/BPEO/BPM/BAT studies etc.) for the health and safety of both Client staff and the wider community.
Other aspects of the role will include mentoring others in a technical capacity, assisting in the production of bids and proposals, and implementing and contributing to safety initiatives. Other Responsibilities will include:
- Liaising with clients and project teams to prepare technical specifications for the design of the projects they work on, and assist if required to support the reviews of others.
- Help develop in-house technical standards and specifications where necessary.
- Lead the development of project specific engineering solutions.
- Conduct the design, installation and commissioning of new plant and equipment, monitor plant modifications and upgrades.
- Liaising with Project Managers to oversee the cost and time constraints of all process inputs to projects undertaken by the process team.
- Provide robust audit trails for all design decisions and manage change of design through the company or Client commercial/contract change control procedures through their appointed project line management.
You will enjoy approaching things in different ways to find the best possible fit – you like making improvements and consider different approaches, trying to find the best approach to fit whatever is the current context. As soon as you’re presented with a problem, you are focused on how to resolve it, whatever it might be.
You don’t just tackle these things alone. You like to engage with others, and especially enjoy watching people develop and grow in the team. You enjoy explaining complex ideas, helping people to ‘get it’, and then watch them go on and achieve more.
And overall, you get satisfaction from building relationships, with clients and with colleagues. You enjoy getting to know people, and working out how you can have a positive impact on them – whether that’s delivering something that a client needs, or helping someone to progress within the organisation.
In addition to having excellent communication and problem solving skills you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering (preferably Masters).
- Member of IMechE (or equivalent) and be a Chartered Engineer.
- Previous mechanical design engineering experience in the nuclear industry is preferable or alternatively within a highly regulated/safety critical chemical, and Oil & Gas environments.
- An enthusiastic and proficient engineer ideally with practical hands-on engineering experience.
- Demonstrate problem solving skills and be target focussed.
- Demonstrate good communication, presentation and interactive skills. Experience in a consultancy would be advantageous.
- Flexible in approach, willing to travel to work on client sites and other duties as appropriate.
As part of our Energy business, our nuclear team specialises in taking on the most stimulating engineering projects and opportunities that exist across the board, from technical leadership to project management. With existing relationships with the major operators in the nuclear sectors, we offer a stimulating variety of work, within a team which is rapidly developing to meet the challenges of the energy businesses.
Based in Birchwood, Warrington which currently has a 70+ strong team, it forms part of our overall Energy business. This includes nuclear new build, enrichment, generation, decommissioning as well as Oil + Gas, Power and Renewables, with longer term opportunities to move around as opportunities arise that might suit your strengths and aspirations.
- Travel to other Atkins company offices may be necessary.
- Our current major Client is based in Cheshire but other key Clients are based throughout the UK and it is expected that some secondments/site working at their sites will be acceptable to candidates. However, where required reimbursement of travel and accommodation costs will be provided.
- Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.