Are you a senior Mechanical Engineer with a track record of supervising delivery of technical solutions in challenging timescales? Then this could be the role for you.
We are seeking senior Mechanical Engineers with a strong background in Engineering to join our Energy team in Derby to support a number of key nuclear workstreams.The Role
As part of our Energy business you will lead and have accountability for the delivery of Atkins technical projects and programmes on behalf of our clients.
We achieve success by working in close partnership with our clients, by matching our skills to their needs, being flexible, and by using our resources efficiently. Whether we’re delivering high quality engineering and technical services or programme management, we always deliver the solution that’s right for them.
Our team’s work supports a number of key nuclear workstreams including the UK Submarine programme (both in-service and next generation vessels, as well as dockyard equipment and facilities) and high integrity structures for new nuclear establishments. We also deliver work elsewhere in the Energy industry, making use of our strong design and analytical skills and plant knowledge on projects for other clients. Joining our team gives you the opportunity to challenge yourself by getting actively involved in a variety of projects with different clients and industries.
As an senior engineer within our team, your work will be diverse and challenging and you could be involved in; leading production of calculations, reviewing technical documents, supporting bidding activity and supporting our QA process.The Person
During your career you will have developed a depth of experience in Mechanical Engineering principles and their application to varied projects/domains and will have direct experience of leading teams in the delivery of technical solutions.
You will have authored and lead production of designs, calculations and key technical documentation to demonstrate acceptable performance. You can be able to deal effectively with ambiguity and multiple problems whilst working to tight timescales.
You will have excellent communication, stakeholder management and influencing skills, and will be able to effectively manage both complex client relationships and internal delivery teams. You will be comfortable with presenting / discussing your team work to clients.
You are comfortable working in new and changing environments and have a desire to be challenged and are looking to contribute to the success of the business (placements at clients’ sites may be required).
You will have experience of applying Quality Assurance processes, through review or checking colleagues’ work.
In addition to the above the following experience / knowledge would be desirable;
- Nuclear industry knowledge and safety case appreciation
- Working to design codes and industry standards appropriate for a safety critical industry
- Steam-raising power plant and components (pressure vessels, heat exchangers, pumps, valves, pipework etc)
- High integrity mechanical handling equipment (Nuclear defueling/fueling etc.)
- Degree-qualified in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline
- Chartered Engineer or in the advance stages of working towards Chartership status
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2015’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in virtually every region of the world, in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition. Additional Information
Reward & Benefits
- This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Energy sector in the UK. As part of a single Energy business, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our Energy clients and also for international travel as part of the global Energy business.
- Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
- Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house and well as external training for all of our staff.
- Although the team is based in Derby, the wider Energy business has locations around the country and opportunities also exist at various client sites. Flexibility on work location and a willingness to undertake secondments to other sites from time to time as required is an important aspect of how we work and we want you to be comfortable with this culture.
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave. Flexible working options will be considered for this vacancy.