We are seeking an Engineer who thrives on making a strong personal contribution and who is enthusiastic to help make the organisation a little better every day. You will want to deliver – for the client, for the business and for yourself.
We need a personable senior engineer who wants to solve and deliver mechanical engineering designs to customers and who aspires to be one of our future Chief Engineers, Programme Directors, Key Account Directors or Business Heads. You’ll enjoy working with others, sometimes directly at client sites, sometimes from our offices, and always seeking to be forward thinking and going the extra mile to help us maintain our excellent performance.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we’d love you to apply for this role.
Working within our Energy UK business you will be part of a team of mechanical engineering professionals with several years of experience preferably in the energy industry. The role will entail providing the necessary design justification to ensure design solutions are compliant with safety and regulatory requirements. You will develop integrated design solutions to satisfy client technical specifications and check the engineering designs performed by others for their relevance and adequacy of engineering substantiation.
You may be required to present your designs to single or multiple discipline design reviews and safety reviews. You’ll enjoy working with others, sometimes directly at client sites, sometimes from our offices, and always seeking to be forward thinking and going the extra mile to help us maintain our excellent performance. You will be delivering robust solutions that will meet our client’s requirements.
As an experienced mechanical engineer you’ll love to deliver on complex solo or multiple projects simultaneously to the highest quality. You’ll enjoy working closely with major clients on a range of demanding issues whilst mentoring graduate colleagues to preserve the high standards that we’re proud of. You will provide technical guidance and impart knowledge to other engineers within the team. You will either be a chartered engineer yourself or be ready to apply yourself so you will be able to provide guidance for others to attain the professional status of CEng with the IMechE.
You don’t just tackle these things alone. You enjoy discussing and agreeing how to solve complex issues with your colleagues. And overall, you get satisfaction from building relationships, with clients and with colleagues. You enjoy getting to know people, and working out how you can have a positive impact on them – whether delivering something for a client, or helping to win more work.
In addition to having excellent communication and problem solving skills you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline
- Some mechanical design experience gained in an industrial environment, where you will have seen the output from your efforts; you’ll have an appreciation of how engineering components and systems are designed and specified
- Teamwork and Leadership qualities
- An appreciation of project and client management
- An understanding of the fundamental factors which contribute to business success
- Liaising with clients and project teams to prepare technical specifications for the design of the projects they work on, and assist if required the reviews of others.
- Help develop in-house technical standards and specifications where necessary.
- Assist or lead the development of project specific engineering solutions.
- Liaising with Project Managers to oversee the cost and time constraints of all process inputs to projects undertaken by the Mechanical team.
- Provide robust audit trails for all design decisions and manage change of design through the company or client commercial/contract change control procedures through their appointed project line management.
Experience of working within another highly regulated industry would be highly advantageous.The team
As part of our Energy business, our team specialises in taking on the most stimulating engineering projects and opportunities that exist across the board, from technical leadership to project management. With existing relationships with the major operators in the nuclear and energy sectors, we offer a stimulating variety of work, within a team which is rapidly developing to meet the challenges of the energy businesses.
Based in Rotherham, South Yorkshire which currently has a 60+ strong team, it forms part of our overall Energy business. This includes nuclear new build, enrichment, generation, decommissioning as well as Oil + Gas, Power, Renewables and specialist manufacture, with longer term opportunities to move around as opportunities arise that might suit your strengths and aspirations.Additional Information
- This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Energy sector in the UK. As part of a single Energy business, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our Energy clients and also for international travel as part of the global Energy business.
- Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
- Although the team is based in Rotherham, the wider Energy business has locations around the country and opportunities also exist at various client sites, if you feel you are better suited to another location then please mention this in your application. Flexibility on work location and a willingness to undertake secondments to other sites from time to time as required is an important aspect of how we work and we want you to be comfortable with this culture.
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2015’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in virtually every region of the world, in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.