Atkins has a Vision to be the world’s best infrastructure consultancy. Our mission to support this is “We will lead the way in shaping the future of transport by combining the best skills, expertise and capacity across our market to get closer to the heart of our clients, driving greater value for them and for Atkins”
Atkins are looking for a Senior PWay Engineer to join our Pway team based in Scotland. You will be responsible for the development and delivery of Permanent Way designs from feasibility through to detailed design, undertaking quality checks, and mentoring the junior staff within the teams.
You will be the technical lead and therefore accountable for identifying and resolving technical issues, reading and interpreting P-Way and other related engineering drawings to provide realistic cost estimates and plans, whilst assessing which engineering techniques need to be utilised. You will be expected to work closely with our clients and produce and review method statements, RFI s and other technical reports, as well as actively participating in IDCs and progress meetings to provide progress updates to both clients and senior management.
• Produce technical design and reports of acceptable technical and presentational quality.
• Work independently to deliver work and integrate with larger project teams.
• Deliver complete projects on time and within budget, and take responsibility of checking less experienced colleagues’ work for quality project delivery.
• Implement BMS filing matrix and project filing systems and guide others in the team.
• Prepare project cost estimates for more complex packages of work with minimal supervision.
• Offer new ideas to improve solutions and processes and see through ideas to implementation and completion.
• Work collaboratively with the Glasgow & Edinburgh teams and across the wider Atkins Group.
• Populate and maintain business development information using Atkins information and knowledge management systems and processes.
• Nurture relationships with clients, other business units and divisions within Global Design Centre (GDC) and UK.
• Develop relationships with Atkins Pway managers in the UK.
• Degree in Engineering/Science or related discipline with extensive relevant experience, or PhD in related discipline with proven relevant experience.
• Knowledge of Rail CAD standards
• Expected to attain Incorporated Engineer status or development objectives completed for Chartered Engineer status.
• Fully proficient in Bentley Railtrack, MXRail, MicroStation & AutoCad and design using appropriate software and able to prepare calculations for more complex track layouts with minimal supervision.
• Good understanding of track construction methods & stageworks of projects.
• Good understanding of Network Rail, London Underground &, Railway Group standards as well as the relevant British Standards and Eurocodes.
• Clear understanding of UK safety legislation including CDM regulations
• An effective team member able to apply knowledge gained across a broad range of disciplines with an understanding of multi-disciplinary working.
• To have basic understanding of other rail disciplines.
• Design Engineer with extensive experience.
• Able to present their work and represent their colleagues on the project in presentations and meetings.
• Clear understanding of railway civil engineering technologies and markets and able to discuss with clients.
• Able to author technical reports of acceptable technical and presentational quality.
• Experience of managing interfaces with other railway engineering disciplines with minimal supervision.
• Experience in preparing project cost estimates for more complex packages of work with minimal supervision.
• Excellent interpersonal, organisational, leadership and communication skills both oral and written.
• Customer focused with excellent relationship management skills.
• A confident, enthusiastic and professional attitude.
• Motivated and creative with broad technical knowledge and experience in the Transportation business.
• Flexible, enthusiastic and able to make sound judgements.
• Ability to probe and challenge to enhance understanding
• Drives high quality, value added work
• A valid UK driving licence.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.