We are seeking an experienced Engineer who thrives on making a strong personal contribution and who is motivated to help make the organisation a little better every day. You want to deliver – for the client, for the business and for yourself.
Our clients in the power networks market include the Transmission Owners, electricity generator developers (offshore wind, nuclear and onshore renewables), investors and regulatory bodies. This opportunity is to strengthen our activities in fields such as offshore wind, due diligence and power systems studies. In particular we are looking for an experienced, personable electrical engineer, who wants to solve and deliver electrical power design studies to customers and who aspires to be one of our future Chief Engineers.
Enthusiastic and driven, you’ll join our growing team in Birmingham, with the appetite to liaise directly with clients and help to drive forward a new and growing area of our business. You’ll enjoy working with others, sometimes directly at client sites, sometimes from our offices, and always seeking to be forward thinking and going the extra mile to help us maintain our excellent performance.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we’d love you to apply for this role.
Working for our Energy business you will be part of a team of engineering professionals with experience starting at Apprenticeship all the way up to Chief Engineer level. You must be happy to undertake technical work individually, or as part of a project team and to take responsibility for managing your own delivery to agreed timescales. The role will entail design studies using industry standard tools, document review, reporting and report writing, whilst working with and presenting your work to clients. So you’ll need to enjoy technical work and spending time with clients. You’ll also need to be comfortable with leading a small team, or delivering either individually or as part of a team.
You’ll enjoy taking on a range of challenges, some technical, some wider business oriented; all of which help us to run a strong business. You’ll want to work with customers and with teams who deliver to their customers and you’ll be adaptable and happy to cope with uncertainty. As soon as you’re presented with a problem, you are focused on how to resolve it, whatever it might be.
You don’t just tackle these things alone. You enjoy discussing and agreeing how to solve complex issues with your colleagues. And overall, you get satisfaction from building relationships, with clients and with colleagues. You enjoy getting to know people, and working out how you can have a positive impact on them – whether delivering something for a client, or helping to win more work.
In addition to having excellent communication and problem solving skills you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- enthusiasm, drive and the confidence to engage with clients, communicating effectively at all levels.
- ability to lead bids, and to deliver and technically manage work either as a lead or part of a team
- a degree in Electrical Engineering or a related discipline and have demonstrable experience.
- an appreciation of project and client management
- an appreciation of the fundamental factors which contribute to our business success
Key expertise we are seeking as part of this key role includes two or more of the following:
- Power systems analysis design experience using various software packages e.g. DIgSILIENT PowerFactory, PSS/E, IPSA, PSCAD, ATP.
- Knowledge of UK and international standards and codes e.g. grid code compliance
- Knowledge of steady state, transient and dynamic power system studies.
- Scripting/ automation of power systems analysis tools, especially related to transmission and distribution projects.
- Experience and understanding of power system planning and design
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2015’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations
Our Region has a key role to play in the UK Energy business, covering nuclear, renewable and conventional systems from concept feasibility through to design delivery. With relationships across the energy market, we bring technical know-how from across the design lifecycle to help solve our client’s problems. We see integrated design services as a growth area and with our links into the Atkins organisation for e.g. Infrastructure design, we form part of a wider Energy business which gives us unrivalled access to significant players in all parts of the industry offering diversity and opportunity.
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave. Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy.
- This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our Energy sector in the UK. There will be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomed.
- Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
- Atkins develops and supports employees through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have a programme of in-house and well as external training for all of our engineers.