Our Transportation Division is currently seeking Senior / Principal Engineers in our Birmingham office to assist with the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary highway and railway project across the UK. Using your excellent people, technical and delivery skills, you’ll drive a variety of civil and structural designs for new build, renewal, maintenance and assessment works.
You’ll be working as part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Highways England, Local Authorities, Network Rail, London Underground, HS2, Train Operating Companies, Design & Build Contractors and other niche clients. You’ll also have the opportunity to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
Ideally you will have a background in civil engineering design and delivery of a range of multi-disciplinary projects within either or both the highways and railways environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
- Leading technical delivery of civil engineering projects / civil engineering input in to complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
- Using your excellent analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
- Overseeing completion of designs and the production of and review design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
- Staying abreast of industry developments and changes in standards.
- Mentoring and coaching the development of the team.
- Developing more junior staff by technical training and mentoring. You’ll most likely be acting as a Delegated Engineer or Supervising Civil Engineer for those under formal training contracts.
- Managing senior stakeholders.
- Maintaining and developing excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business.
- Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client focused manner.
- Client, programme and financial management of projects.
- Expanding the Atkins business and assisting with the delivery of business targets.
- Preparing fee offers for agreement with the client.
- Assigning work to and checking / reviewing the project team’s work.
- Working collaboratively across the Atkins Group.
- Line management of junior staff.
- BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Chartered status and corporate membership of the ICE, IHT or IStructE.
- Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Local Authorities, Highways England, Network Rail, Developers and/or major Contractors.
- Ability to lead and contribute to bids and tenders.
- Ability to develop and decide on scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverable, delivering within set time frame.
- Good project management skills, commercial awareness, financial control and ability to deliver across a range of contract types. This will include an ability to manage stakeholders, e.g. specialist suppliers, independent checkers and local authorities.
- Commercially astute and an excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra management responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
- Sound knowledge of Project Governance and Development Processes for Network Rail, Highways England and / or Local Authorities.
- Thorough comprehension of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes and those of Network Rail and Highways England.
- Ability to research information and data independently and ability to resolve contractual issues.
- Ability to find solutions to complex organisational problems.
- Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Awareness of business models adopted in the sector and commercial and technical risks.
- Experience of client engagement and business development activities.
- Positive and practical with experience of managing resources, mentoring engineers and inspiring multidisciplinary teams to exceed client expectations.
- Knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation.
Connecting countries, cities and communities, our Transportation team works on some of the most challenging projects of our time. Helping people to travel faster and more efficiently, we transform rail and highway infrastructure. So, get on board and play a big part in our success.
We’ll value you for going beyond to exceed expectations and deliver innovative solutions nobody else can. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards and development opportunities.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.