We have an opportunity for a dynamic and motivated Senior/Principal Engineering Geologist in our Dubai office. This is an excellent opportunity to take a senior role in our very successful Middle East geotechnical team. The candidate should be experienced in engineering geological and geohazard investigations, particularly for civil engineering and major project purposes. This experience should be applicable to a wide range of ground engineering environments – but especially for Middle East and Africa.
As one of the World’s leading geotechnical consultancies Atkins offers a comprehensive service in ground technology. With more than 300 professionals, Atkins’ geotechnical reputation is built on the skills, excellence and commitment of our people in all aspects of geotechnical engineering.
Atkins has an impressive current portfolio of prestigious geotechnical projects in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Our engineering geologists make an important contribution to our projects and are the lead geotechnical discipline when there are particularly challenging geological conditions and geohazards. We need to increase our resources to meet the growing demands from our clients, especially in the infrastructure sector (particularly rail, highways & water) and the energy sector, which includes carbon capture & storage, renewable energy (wind, current and hydro-power), low carbon engineering, offshore and onshore oil & gas and nuclear power.
As a result, we’re looking to grow our team and looking for people with the drive and enthusiasm to embrace the future. We have the depth of knowledge and breadth of expertise to help you build a bright career in this exciting and rapidly evolving sector.
The successful applicant will be a Senior/Principal Engineering Geologist with a proven technical, commercial and project management track record.
The details of the role will be reflective of the individual's skill set and experience.
Candidates should have the right flare and ability that will help us develop and expand our property, infrastructure, rail and energy geotechnics capability by building on the existing portfolio of our rapidly expanding, flexible and outward looking team that can tackle work across a broad spectrum of sectors.
Candidates should have:
- A strong academic background with good academic qualifications - as a minimum first degree in geology or geography and a second degree in engineering geology or with a large component of engineering geology / geomorphology.
- Chartered status
- Excellent technical experience. Experience of engineering geological and geohazard investigations of sites for civil engineering purposes, ideally with experience of working both in the Middle East, Africa and Europe.
- The candidate’s technical experience should range from terrain evaluation of large areas to the detailed investigation of specific sites. It should include (as a minimum) the assessment of ground conditions for particular projects. An ability to use engineering geological software would be an advantage, particularly GIS for mapping and 3-dimensional terrain and geological modelling.
- Experience in the following sectors would be advantageous: high-rise buildings, rail, highways & bridges, offshore wind turbines, nuclear facilities, onshore pipelines and oil and gas facilities, dams & reservoirs.
- Good interpersonal skills and the experience of developing and leading investigation and design teams
- Good communication skills - able to liaise effectively at project manager and project director level and with clients.
- Project management - Experience and understanding of the needs and approaches to the engineering consultancy and design markets, including relationships with clients, work planning and commercial management. The candidate should be able to operate as a sub-project manager within Atkins, and as Atkins project manager for external clients.
- Good report writing skills and the ability to self-check and to produce high quality and accurate work.
- Able to demonstrate good people skills, flexibility and to have the ability to lead technical teams.
- A clear willingness and ability to travel on short assignments with ease and for specific projects around the Middle East region, Africa and Europe.
- A UAE (or GCC/International) driving licence.
Rewards & Benefits:
We offer an excellent package which includes:
- A competitive salary
- Accommodation allowance;
- Transportation allowance;
- 26 calendar days annual leave (based on 6 day working week)
- Medical and life insurance cover;
- Company gratuity scheme;
- Discretionary bonus scheme;
- Annual flight allowance to point of origin
- Employee Well-Being Programme – 24 hour free advice on financial, legal and family care specialists and also access to personal health, fitness and nutrition consultants
All applicants will be reviewed against the above criteria and contacted accordingly.